Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about an inch or so short on the cable length, enough so that, no matter how hard we pull/yell, just can't seem to get the cable to loop onto the either of the brackets on the floor or the control lever.

New cables, cleaned handle assembly and all the supporting parts, rebuilt rear brakes on both sides. Equalizer nut is at the very end of the adjustment rod.

The old system came out easy enough, likely due to stretched/worn cables.

Any ideas? The FSM seems to imply this is just 'hook it up and adjust to fit'. Clearly I'm missing something.

Thanks!

·
Registered
762 Posts
It's funny that you mention this issue now. I'm having a similar issue. The rear parking brake cable is coming up short. However, mine's a '66 coupe so the cable is part number C6ZZ-2A635C. The new one that I purchased is a Scott Drake "concours" piece. It's one very long cable that runs to both sides. Anybody have a suggestion?

I'm guessing that your issue is on a '67? You have two equal length cables, right?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been out a couple weeks, but wanted to close this out.

Yep, I have two separate cables. The only things that are new are the cables, everything else from the handle assembly to the pivot bar are original. Rear drums have been rebuilt, and the floor brackets are untouched.

After fighting with it for a while, I finally got it connected but it was so tight, the brake was essentially engaged without pulling the handle out. I finally decided there is something not quite perfect with the new cables and I thus the quest for more slack.

I picked up a longer "trim to fit" equalizer bar and it worked perfectly. I know, I know, the old parts 'should' work. My fault for assuming the old parts would just drop back in - the system simply didn't have enough margin for adjustment with the new cables. The new rod only buys me about an extra inch or so, but it was all I needed. Brake works as expected now. New parking brake cables are very likely the cause of the issue unless anyone has a better suggestion.

Pics show old bar, the comparison, and the new one installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
I've been out a couple weeks, but wanted to close this out.

Yep, I have two separate cables. The only things that are new are the cables, everything else from the handle assembly to the pivot bar are original. Rear drums have been rebuilt, and the floor brackets are untouched.

After fighting with it for a while, I finally got it connected but it was so tight, the brake was essentially engaged without pulling the handle out. I finally decided there is something not quite perfect with the new cables and I thus the quest for more slack.

I picked up a longer "trim to fit" equalizer bar and it worked perfectly. I know, I know, the old parts 'should' work. My fault for assuming the old parts would just drop back in - the system simply didn't have enough margin for adjustment with the new cables. The new rod only buys me about an extra inch or so, but it was all I needed. Brake works as expected now. New parking brake cables are very likely the cause of the issue unless anyone has a better suggestion.

Where did you get that adjuster? The 65/66 replacement ones from ACP
are about 3/4" more thread. Perfect for when I needed just a tad more
for rear disc hookup.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Where did you get that adjuster? The 65/66 replacement ones from ACP
are about 3/4" more thread. Perfect for when I needed just a tad more
for rear disc hookup.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
His is a 67, GT (provided he is talking about the one in his signature).

Allen

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
It's funny that you mention this issue now. I'm having a similar issue. The rear parking brake cable is coming up short. However, mine's a '66 coupe so the cable is part number C6ZZ-2A635C. The new one that I purchased is a Scott Drake "concours" piece. It's one very long cable that runs to both sides. Anybody have a suggestion?

I'm guessing that your issue is on a '67? You have two equal length cables, right?
Use a longer threaded adjustment rod at the equalizer bar. Mine came from ACP. I was
dreading having to take my original and lengthen it when I changed my rear disc setup
around two months ago. (cable ended up 1" shorter than was needed when I was figuring
out how to re-attach the cable stops on the ends.... TIG works, MIG screws up the cable)
Apparently there are some other "reproduction" adjustment rods that are even longer.
The Ford Master Parts Catalog says it originally was a cut to fit piece at the service parts
counter.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
762 Posts

Where did you get the new equalizer rod and how long is your "trim-to-fit" piece end to end?

I bought all new components for my '66. The rod from ACP measured 7 1/4" end to end. My cables need about another inch of slack too. I got ACP to send me a new rod and this one measures about 7 5/8" end to end... I'm not sure that the additional 3/8" will be enough. Hopefully, I'll find out tomorrow.

Thanks. I look forward to your reply.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts