Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need something to remind me that I've got the parking brake engaged, driving until I smell my brake shoes is not going to work as a long term solution. I've got a 65 with stock equipment and was thinking there must be a way of adding a small momentary switch on my brake handle assembly near the cable roll pin, when the pin moves away the switch closes and a small light glows on my instrument panel. Anybody do it or something else?

Gregg

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
This thread should be in the main forum. All the major mustang vendors sell parking brake warning light/switch kits for the '65/66 cars. You won't even have to drill a hole in your dash. :)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
NPD has a kit for it over here.

Since it's a repro of an original Ford accessory you can just tell anyone that asks that it's a rare factory option. It's even in the 60s accessory catalogs: 66 (in French) and 67.

The price has gone up a little since the 60s though. It's now $58.66 versus $3.70 if you would have ordered it back when the car was new.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I need something to remind me that I've got the parking brake engaged, driving until I smell my brake shoes is not going to work as a long term solution. I've got a 65 with stock equipment and was thinking there must be a way of adding a small momentary switch on my brake handle assembly near the cable roll pin, when the pin moves away the switch closes and a small light glows on my instrument panel. Anybody do it or something else?

Gregg
LOL, I was too ashamed to mention it when it happened but back in the early summer I forgot it was on.......3 miles of city driving and I sure could smell it. Pulled into a gas station ans boy did I feel foolish. In my defense, I only had the parking brake working for a few months at that point and was not used to it LOL. I wonder if a indicator light was an option for '68

·
Registered
445 Posts
This thread should be in the main forum. All the major mustang vendors sell parking brake warning light/switch kits for the '65/66 cars. You won't even have to drill a hole in your dash.

I suppose, that if you made a bracket and drilled a hole in it, then you wouldn't have to drill a hole in your dash. However, this was not Ford's intent. See attached copy of the Instruction Sheet (IS 1311) that came with the original Ford Accessory.
NPD has a kit for it over here.

Since it's a repro of an original Ford accessory you can just tell anyone that asks that it's a rare factory option. It's even in the 60s accessory catalogs: 66 (in French) and 67.
The price has gone up a little since the 60s though. It's now $58.66 versus $3.70 if you would have ordered it back when the car was new.
The first part of this statement is correct, that it is a repro of an original Ford Accessory. However, the comment of it being a Factory Option is incorrect ; this was never offered as a Factory Option Remember, Factory Options were ordered when the car was ordered and installed at the Factory ; Accessories were available at the Ford Dealer Parts Counter, and either sold directly to the Owner, or purchased by the Owner to be installed by the Dealer, which some call "Dealer Options" (I personally avoid this term so as not to confuse it with true "Factory Options", which are usually referred to as just "Options").

Finally, the last statement that this Parking Brake Warning Light also appears in the 1967 Accessory Catalog warrants additional clarification so as not to steer readers in the wrong path. While the picture in the 1967 Accessory Catalog shows a warning light that looks like the same one as for 1965-66, the 1967 version was considerably different. Remember, Accessory Catalogs were printed before actual Model Year Introduction, so they would be available at that time. Thus, many times, pictures of final production details were not always available. The 1967 Mustang Parking Brake Warning Light carried a new Part Number, specifically for Mustangs ; C7ZZ-15A852-A. Its physical appearance was now a round plastic lens, approximately 5/8" diameter, and about 3/8" tall, with a round chrome ring about 1/4" tall around the base. I don't have access to my actual part right now, but a copy of the Instruction Sheet (IS 2549) that I have attached will give you an idea of what I just described. Interestingly, the price shown in the November 1, 1966 Ford List Price Book remained at $3.70. Since I don't have anything earlier than the November price book to document the existence of the C7ZZ warning light, it may be possible that the 1965-66 versions were sold before then ; however, I don't believe that the curvature of the 1965-66 chrome housing would fit the 1967 dash.

Hope this helps.

Bob
IS 1311        C4DZ-15A852-A.jpg
IS 1311        C4DZ-15A852-A.jpg
IS 2549.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
The kits that CJ Pony sells (HW814 for '65/66 & HW815 for '67/68) mount under the dash so you don't have to drill a hole unless you want to. You don't have to make a bracket.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
That $3.70 E brake warning light kit might have changed Cannonball Run history had it been used.
Rick Kopek (SAAC guru) was scratching around for a 65 GT350 to run in the last of the real Brock Yates Cannonball Runs back in '79. He found another SAAC friend (Rob Key) who was willing to drive his '65 350 in it and so away they went. As they drove on, they got tired and partway across the US forgot they had the e-brake still on. They figured it out when they went to slow down from a good 100mph and the brake pedal went to the floor, as heat buildup had melted the rubber seals in the rear brake cylinders. They geared down and barely coasted to a stop at a restaurant (in front of a cop who happened to be there), called some Mustang friends and had to spend an unwelcome "delay of game" penalty while they installed replacement brake cylinders/shoes and bled the system before they could be off and banzai-ing again across the US. They actually made it, achieving a time of 48'53" when they finally pulled in to the Portofino Inn in Redondo Beach, California. They also got nailed for impersonating a cop when pulled over for speeding, but that's another story lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts