Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm assembling my car and have realized that 2 years apart and many alcoholic beverages later, my memory is not quite what it used to be. This is my first non 65-66 Mustang (its a 68) and I can't remember if this thing had a parking brake return spring mounted underneath the car like on 65-66. The NPD catalog lists one but by looking at the bracketry on the car, I'm not sure where it would go. Anybody out there got a 68 that could help me out. Laurie???

Thanks

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yes, there should be one. It is mounted between the RH inner floor support and the brake equalizer lever. The lever has two holes in it and I believe the spring is attached to the outer most hole (brake cable end). I know, I probably just made this clear as mud.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My equalizer bar has only two holes in it. One for the cable from the handle and one for the the adjusting bracket. Does the spring go into one of those holes with the other pieces?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just put my '67 back together and I didn't have a spring. I would think they should be the same. I believe there is a spring at the rear brake shoes. Mine seems to work fine.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
just put my '68 brakes back together and there is no per se spring - it is done with parking brake assembly internal in rear brake. PM me me if you want me to scan and send you Shop Manual picture of both front and rear brake assemblies. give me your e-mail address if not on profile.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts