Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I was wondering if there was an easy way to wire the parking lights to stay on when the headlamps are turned on and still operate as turning signals as they do in the running light position.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm not sure I'd call it "easy", but I did this when I re-wired my engine bay. I added relays for the headlights, parking lights and horns. I simply used the park light wire and the headlight wire as input to my relay so that in either switch position my park lights would stay on. Without relays, it will not be easy because if you tie them together then both headlights and parking lights will always be on together.

Maybe the wiring expert, Midlife will chime in with some ideas.

Warren

·
Registered
818 Posts
On my dads 56 tbird we had the same issue. We purchased and installed a part from a tbird parts dealer that was used to connect two positions on the headlight switch. Maybe the mustang vendors have something similar for the eary mustangs.

Mike

·
Registered
38,162 Posts
What about using a later model headlight switch?

Other than that, inserting a diode between the headlamp and parking lamp feeds so that current will flow from the headlamps to the parking lamps but not vice versa?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bartl said:
What about using a later model headlight switch?

Other than that, inserting a diode between the headlamp and parking lamp feeds so that current will flow from the headlamps to the parking lamps but not vice versa?
Does anyone know which model headlight switch will fit in the factory location of a 65?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
38,162 Posts
Good question. I know that the switch in my 70 Econoline had a very similar bezel.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I would love to know if there is an easy way to do this as well for my '69 without hacking up the wiring. One of us has to be an electrical wizard.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Sentipede, unless I'm missing something, you'll fry the diode as soon as you turn the one on the negative(striped) end of the diode on.

Like for instance, if you hooked the negative end of the diode to the headlight wire and the positive end to the parking light. Well, when you apply positive voltage to the negative end(turning on the headlight in this case) you would blow up the diode. It's late so maybe I'm missing something, but I believe that is correct.

The relay way talked about above is the best way I could think of.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It's simple, you don't need diodes or relays. Remove the head light switch from the dash and pull it down where you can get to the wiring. Clip the wire that feeds the parking lamps and connect it to the wire that feeds the tail lights. As you know, the tail lights come on in both parking and headlight positions, so the parking lights will do the same. It works, I have done it. Each spade connection is marked on the switch.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes, I believe it would. It would be easy to try while the switch is hanging. You would still have to peel away some insulation on two wires. Either way, I think it is easier and less intrusive than splicing in diodes or relays.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
That's the ticket. All the lights would go on in either switch position! :p

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
That's a good idea. I would not strip away any insulation though, I would just get some "tap" connectors to tap into the wires, no cutting involved, unless you don't mind cutting up your harness.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mikeparker said:
It's simple, you don't need diodes or relays. Remove the head light switch from the dash and pull it down where you can get to the wiring. Clip the wire that feeds the parking lamps and connect it to the wire that feeds the tail lights. As you know, the tail lights come on in both parking and headlight positions, so the parking lights will do the same. It works, I have done it. Each spade connection is marked on the switch.
Brilliant! Now I just need to figure out which wires I should bridge. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the switch?

·
Registered
294 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'd like to do this to my 65, but I have one more question...
With the wiring jumper on the switch (mentioned above), will the headlights come on when you go to the park light position? I want to have the park lite position without head lights and then the head light position with park lights.

thanks

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
It will not turn the headlights on in the parking lights position. But remember, you're jumpering the parking lights to the runnings lights, there should be nothing connected to the headlight wires except for the headlights. :p

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Subscribe! Good information!

Tim

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Real dumb question, but couldn't you just swap in a 69 headlight switch? IIRC the Saftey Act of 1968 required running lights, and IIRC a later model headlight switch will bolt in and plug right up.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Well, you are correct that the law was enacted and that switch will turn both of them on, but I have no idea if it will mount the same and if the plug is the same. Plus, have you looked at the price of switches? Much cheaper for a piece of wire and a few connecters. :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts