Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished installing front turn signal assemblies on my 68. Brand new everything ( all electrical you can think of) and they don't work. The parking lights work....turn the headlights on and they go off. I'm pretty sure that's normal, because I have never seen a vintage mustang with both headlight and parking lights on at the same time. If that's not normal, someone please tell me! But why no turn signals? Rear ones work, but not front. Here's what I concluded and let me see if you guys think that this is the problem:
Previous owner to previous owner wired the car something funky! Wires all over...no fuses, just hot wires running from junctions in the fuse panel to who knew where. But I must say, everything worked!!! After replacing everything electrical, i.e., switches, harnesses, indicators, etc. they still don't work. One thing I have not replaced is a 14 amp ACCY labeled fuse in the panel. Would this fuse cause the front turn signals not to flash? Is that the route of my problem or is it something other than that? What else isn't working as a result of that fuse? It seems everything else is fine....heater fan, all interior lights...( no radio to try though). I'll replace that fuse tomorrow, but wanted to check here first to see if there's a hidden something I'm not finding. Thanks again.
Dave

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Yes, there's a fuse associated with the turn signals but I believe it affects both front and rear turn signals. The best approach for a heavily modified harness is to remove it and recondition it to put it back like its supposed to be. This saves hours of troubleshooting someone elses custom wiring they didn't take time to document.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have replaced everything electrical...including ALL harnessess. And yeah, they were a real mess as well. But I remember there was a wire running from that 14a ACCY fuse panel to something under the dash, and I think it was to a turn signal flasher. I had three turn signal flashers in that car.....1 for the back, 1 for the front, and one for the emergency flasher. And the best part was that where the stock turn signal flasher unit installed there was just those two nice factory wires dangling in the wind! Maybe poweris required from that junction to the front turnsignals.....I'm replacing that fuse in about an hour....I'll post if that was the problem.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
in Shop Manual or Owner's manual (both '68) i see no fuze labeled ACCY and my fuze box only has "X" amps markings. do notice Falcon diagram in Shop Manual with ACCY terminal. maybe thats what you have. normal '68 has fuze at top of panel mounted horizontally at left side and 14 amps for back-up lights,radio, prnd21 light,defogger & turn signal circuit which would provide both front and rear TSs. PM me and i could scan Manuals pages and send them to you. i would guess you have Falcon panel and perhaps wiring but that is just a guess substantiated by that ACCY marking.
Yes, parking lites extiquish with headlites on.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've heard that since I went to a fiberglass valance, that I need to ground the units? If that's the case, why would the parking light work then? After trying that suggestion, it still doesn't work.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it's a Falcon harness...did they have two flashers for the turn signals? Seems odd....maybe that flasher unit is the wrong one?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts