Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the part number for the PCV hose that goes from the air cleaner to the oil cap on a 1970 Mach 1? The other hose that goes to the carb is easy to find, but I haven't been able to locate the one for the air cleaner. I'm trying to find a concours or decent repro with Ford or Autolite stamp, if possible, and if I have the part number I might be able to track it down easier. Thanks for any info (see picture attached).

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
Yeah, those were a PITA to find.
C9PZ-6A664-A 15/32" ID. Came from service parts as 25'...... cut to length. OR
C9PZ-6A664-B 5/8" ID. Same deal as far as length supplied.

Someone on eBay has the 15/32" one....... you'd have a lifetime supply if that's the size you need.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like it has Motorcraft stamped on it, but $150 is pretty steep!

Any idea on how to tell which one applies to my car? Mines a 351C M code. I can break out the ruler, of course, but just wondering if there is a particular size assigned for various configurations. It's also hard to tell from the picture, but were hose clamps used? Thanks!

·
Registered
33,843 Posts
Yeah, those were a PITA to find.
C9PZ-6A664-A 15/32" ID. Came from service parts as 25'...... cut to length. OR
C9PZ-6A664-B 5/8" ID. Same deal as far as length supplied.

Someone on eBay has the 15/32" one....... you'd have a lifetime supply if that's the size you need.

6A664 is the hose on the PCV side (PCV valve to carburetor base)
6853 is the hose on the BREATHER side (Oil cap to air cleaner housing).

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
6A664 is the hose on the PCV side (PCV valve to carburetor base)
6853 is the hose on the BREATHER side (Oil cap to air cleaner housing).
Okay so I think I got a little twisted around. I already ordered what I think is the correct part for the carburetor side, which is D0AZ-6A664-C. I don't have the original carburetor (have a Holley) but it looks to me like that hose will fit, and it has a 90 degree bend which should fit nicely.

What I'm looking for now is the one for the air cleaner side. If it is 6853, what is the whole part number? D0AZ-6853-C? I don't get any hits on that even if I change the C to B or A. Thanks,

·
Registered
33,843 Posts
Okay so I think I got a little twisted around. I already ordered what I think is the correct part for the carburetor side, which is D0AZ-6A664-C. I don't have the original carburetor (have a Holley) but it looks to me like that hose will fit, and it has a 90 degree bend which should fit nicely.

What I'm looking for now is the one for the air cleaner side. If it is 6853, what is the whole part number? D0AZ-6853-C? I don't get any hits on that even if I change the C to B or A. Thanks,
I believe C4ZZ-6853-B is used on Small Blocks and C8ZZ-6853-AR on FE's and the B302.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
I dont think that pic is correct for a 351 C.
Mine has a 90 deg fitting. and we are the original owners. i cant recall it ever being changed..
for the last 35 years I just used a piece of heater hose. and as you can see I never even hose clamped it. but originally it had 2 spring type wire clamps

yes the one in the back is a special molded hose. I think I got that from NPD back in the day or maybe even Ford

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont think that pic is correct for a 351 C.
Mine has a 90 deg fitting. and we are the original owners. i cant recall it ever being changed..
for the last 35 years I just used a piece of heater hose. and as you can see I never even hose clamped it. but originally it had 2 spring type wire clamps

View attachment 737300
I took the picture out of service manual for 1970 351c.

Wouldn’t the part number start with D0, or at least C9?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Only if Ford saw a reason to modify the design or otherwise supersede the original. There's some parts out there that still have "B" (1950's) prefixes.

Thanks. At the risk of sounding stupid here, is the 351C officially considered a small block or big block (and for purposes of this discussion)? I've heard it's both, and there are tons of debates online about it. Also, what did you mean by "FE's"? - bottom line, which one applies to my '70 351C? thx

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
I believe C4ZZ-6853-B is used on Small Blocks and C8ZZ-6853-AR on FE's and the B302.
Those "animals" do not exist. (C4ZZ-6853-B or C8ZZ-6853-AR)
The master parts book in the illustration area calls out 6853 and then in actual lookup refers to base number 6A664.
In the Ford parts world, this is referred to as the crankcase ventilation side.
6A666 is the other side, which is the crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve hose side.

The hose numbers I provided in post #3 are the correct items for the driver's side connections, which
the OP is looking for.....

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To be honest I think I'm now more confused than ever. If I got this right, the correct hose for the driver's side was cut from bulk, had no clamps, was stamped with Motorcraft, and came in two sizes. Is that correct?

·
Registered
9,029 Posts
Thanks. At the risk of sounding stupid here, is the 351C officially considered a small block or big block (and for purposes of this discussion)? I've heard it's both, and there are tons of debates online about it. Also, what did you mean by "FE's"? - bottom line, which one applies to my '70 351C? thx
Neither, it's a Cleveland. Small Block and Big Block are Chevrolet terms. Ford didn't adhere to the norms in that way. A 351W is a larger block than a 351C due to the extra deck height, but you'll never hear anyone refer to a 351w as a big block.

FE refers to the engine family that includes the 352/390/427/428 .

·
Registered
33,843 Posts
Those "animals" do not exist. (C4ZZ-6853-B or C8ZZ-6853-AR)
The master parts book in the illustration area calls out 6853 and then in actual lookup refers to base number 6A664.
In the Ford parts world, this is referred to as the crankcase ventilation side.
6A666 is the other side, which is the crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve hose side.

The hose numbers I provided in post #3 are the correct items for the driver's side connections, which
the OP is looking for.....
Sorry, C4AE-6853-B (which would be a C4AZ-6853-B service part. http://www.coloradomustang.com/showitem.aspx?&id=101991&name=64-65 Oilcap/Air Cleaner Hose

·
Registered
33,843 Posts
Neither, it's a Cleveland. Small Block and Big Block are Chevrolet terms. Ford didn't adhere to the norms in that way. A 351W is a larger block than a 351C due to the extra deck height, but you'll never hear anyone refer to a 351w as a big block.

FE refers to the engine family that includes the 352/390/427/428 .

335-series engines (351C. 351M and 400) are small blocks as refers to their external dimensions and bore spacing.

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
To be honest I think I'm now more confused than ever. If I got this right, the correct hose for the driver's side was cut from bulk, had no clamps, was stamped with Motorcraft, and came in two sizes. Is that correct?
The driver's side was cut from bulk. There are two diameters, depending upon what YOU need to fit YOUR vehicle.
I don't know what was stamped on the hose and I don't know about clamps. I do not recall that side having anything
at either the breather/oil cap or at the air cleaner connection in terms of clamps. If they were present at factory
assembly they would have been spring clamps like you see on the other (PCV) side.

I have seen that smaller diameter hose (C9PZ-6A664-A) identified in the MPC as both 15/32" and 1/2" ID......
so for that part number there's some vagueness going on as well.
That kind of stuff is not a normal occurrence in Ford cataloging. I can only recall one other issue in 40+ years
of looking details up. (It was an improperly drawn exploded view in the illustrations area in their 1948-55 truck catalog)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay so I found a repro from NPD for C4AE-6853 here:

It was a perfect fit and i just needed to shorten it a little. I decided to put one clamp on the PCV valve end, and not on the air cleaner side (both of which sound optional) since it will make it easier whenever removing the air cleaner. It turned out really well, and from the chart posted earlier, appears to correspond to "group 6853". Here are the before and after pictures:.
20191123_174246726_iOS.jpg

20191123_175303402_iOS.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts