Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out today that I’m missing a part....

I need a bell housing separation plate. Is this part based on the motor or the transmission? I have a 289 but my transmission is a Srod from early 80s foxbody. Apparently guy before me left out that part when he converted from auto to manual. I found part online for 289 manual transmission just want to make sure it’s based off motor.

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
10,318 Posts
The plate must match the bellhousing you are using. SBF used a 157 or 164 tooth flywheel and the bells were different sizes. You can get reproduction block plates for both sizes.

Reactions: jjpish68

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The plate must match the bellhousing you are using. SBF used a 157 or 164 tooth flywheel and the bells were different sizes. You can get reproduction block plates for both sizes.
Very good I have 157 tooth and found one online. Thank you for response.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
The part is based on both because you're bolting a later tranny to an earlier engine. The plate is to compensate for the difference in the length of the input shaft (FWIU).
Another issue you might run into will be the length of the driveshaft. You might have to shorten it about 3/4".
I did a C4 to '94 T5 conversion on my 69. Everything bolted up, no plates, no spacers, and didn't have to shorten the driveshaft... but there were numerous warnings about such issues when I posted about the project.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The part is based on both because you're bolting a later tranny to an earlier engine. The plate is to compensate for the difference in the length of the input shaft (FWIU).
Another issue you might run into will be the length of the driveshaft. You might have to shorten it about 3/4".
I did a C4 to '94 T5 conversion on my 69. Everything bolted up, no plates, no spacers, and didn't have to shorten the driveshaft... but there were numerous warnings about such issues when I posted about the project.
Did you have any issues without plate? I had a noise which at first was thought to be throwout bearing but is now thought it is actually the flywheel hitting the stater without that separation plate being there.

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,475 Posts
My 69 Coupe had no engine or trans when I acquired it & I installed a 5.0 from a 1987 C/V & a T-5 trans from a 1987 Mustang. I went to the web site for LMR (late model restoration) their 79-93 Mustang section & ordered the spacer plate for a T-5 bell housing because the one that came with the engine was for an automatic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts