Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most of the companies have "deals" such as Fourth of July, Christmas, etc. Given a restoration may entail spending a LOT of money, often thousands, it is a bit nerve wracking as to what to select. Granted it is mostly Asian manufacture and likely similar quality. For example I am looking at new leaf springs, front coils, shocks, and engine/drivetrain parts. I have already bought a bunch of body metal (rear 1/4's etc) from both CJ and NPD. What is frustrating to me is the customer service----it is very difficult to near impossible to contact a person and get an answer about their products. But they sure can market and make you want to buy their stuff. For example, I noticed CJ has a 22 gallon fuel tank and that might be a decent addition to my mustang. After I looked at the special "black Friday" pricing a day or so later they sent me an email....here it is again, you need to consider this...So I email reply because I had a question or two and my email bounced back. They send emails to me but will not accept one I send to them. I have tried to telephone them in the past (especially near "sale" times) and you are put on hold for often an hour or more. Very frustrating when I am the customer and I think I will just clean out and use my original 16 gallon tank. Anyone else have this experience?

And

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know most of the companies have "deals" such as Fourth of July, Christmas, etc. Given a restoration may entail spending a LOT of money, often thousands, it is a bit nerve wracking as to what to select. Granted it is mostly Asian manufacture and likely similar quality. For example I am looking at new leaf springs, front coils, shocks, and engine/drivetrain parts. I have already bought a bunch of body metal (rear 1/4's etc) from both CJ and NPD. What is frustrating to me is the customer service----it is very difficult to near impossible to contact a person and get an answer about their products. But they sure can market and make you want to buy their stuff. For example, I noticed CJ has a 22 gallon fuel tank and that might be a decent addition to my mustang. After I looked at the special "black Friday" pricing a day or so later they sent me an email....here it is again, you need to consider this...So I email reply because I had a question or two and my email bounced back. They send emails to me but will not accept one I send to them. I have tried to telephone them in the past (especially near "sale" times) and you are put on hold for often an hour or more. Very frustrating when I am the customer and I think I will just clean out and use my original 16 gallon tank. Anyone else have this experience?

And

·
Registered
13 Posts
First … sorry the experience has been less than good. As consumers of vendors that given this economy should be chomping at the bit to be what we expect. A secret I have found useful.....I recently completed the complete restoration of my daughters 66 stang. When I find the best price on an item on a site like CJ"s... I add the item to my wish list.....a few days later it somehow goes on sale????? Try that and see if it helps. These forums are the best for helpful info...even on vendors parts questions.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
I might imagine that NPD may have the most decent and thoughtful people ever to work in customer service and still their eyes roll around their heads many times a day having to deal with some of you people that need their hands held and anguish with over every possible option and decision!

·
Premium Member
6,792 Posts
I noticed CJ has a 22 gallon fuel tank and that might be a decent addition to my mustang. After I looked at the special "black Friday" pricing a day or so later they sent me an email....here it is again, you need to consider this...So I email reply because I had a question or two and my email bounced back.
1) CJ's customer service is something of an oxymoron to many here at VMF.

2) Swapping out a 16 for a 22 gal. tank is a very popular upgrade appreciated by many. It's a direct drop in at the cost of a little depth in the center of the trunk and for most that's no big loss to luggage capacity. You could cut down your old filler tube and use it again, or get new already sized. You can buy an entire kit if you choose. Use 3-4 strands of 3M Rope Calk combined around the tank flange and directly over the screw attachment holes when you install it, the factory spec is .375" thick minimum. You want no gaps for exhaust fumes to get in. It's a good idea to double up two gaskets instead of one between the tail panel paint and filler tube flange. It's a whopping 37% increase in fuel capacity/range.

Edit add: Cleaning out an old gas tank is no fun whatsoever. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,792 Posts
...having to deal with some of you people that need their hands held and anguish over every possible option and decision!
I believe the source of the OP's anguish is the non communication thing, not making a decision. I can think of some good legitimate questions a customer would have about switching to a 22 gallon tank.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
It is funny how many new VMFers first few posts are complaints about a certain vendor. I too made my first couple orders with CJP...they always appear at the top of google searches. I learned quickly the pit falls of seasonal and sale pricing.

I wish I had found VMF sooner and searched out vendors. If you want exceptional customer service and confidence in your purchase, I stick to NPD, Virginia and a couple others.Yes, restorations are expensive. But they can also be frustrating and I am willing to pay a fair price, even if occasionally higher, to get customer care and avoid building a pile of ill fitting or incorrect parts...I guess the bright side of CJ, at least those ill fitting parts are usually on back order and don’t clutter the shop

·
Registered
129 Posts
I know my concern is that in the past I have bought a part based on a vague web description and then when i get it its not the right part. So for "important" or "hard to return" parts, i have a habit of calling the order in and suffering through long waits and holds to try and get 'advice' or 'reassurance' its the right part. Which often ends in the person on the other end just reading the web description to me, then I realize the little I know is more than they know. Very very frustrating. I usually just get off the line and call someone else/another vendor to get someone competent to help me. for me spending a little more is worth the time and trouble of having to pack something up and return it.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Some companies, etc. have emails that you cannot respond back to, but there is a separate email to ask questions, etc. It is one way to cut down on spam, auto replies, etc.

·
Registered
37,688 Posts
Carparts.com 22-gallon fuel tank shipped... $87.64 plus 5% off if you sign up for e-mails. One-year warranty and 90-day return policy. Have used them before and service has been good.

I typically use Google to find best prices.... "1970 Mustang 22 gal fuel tank" then select "shopping" and "lowest price first" then go from there and look for coupon codes. Took me all of 2-3 minutes to find this one.

Yeah, it's a couple bucks more than CJ's, but it'll probably arrive in one piece and if I have to send it back 31 days from now I won't have to wait on the phone for an hour for someone to tell me they can only give me "store credit". :)

·
Registered
828 Posts
That's an auto generated email set up by their marketing web company. Many companies do it. I get them from Summit all the time as well. If you want to contact a company contact them. Companies all have addresses they use for ads and then they have actual contact ones as combining them would be a nightmare. They have been doing it for decades now. Replying to advertising email is like sending a return snail mail to sales adverts you get in the mail.

If there is someone other than Spectra Premium that makes tanks buy theirs instead. When I sold GM G body parts I had a heck of a time with their garbage. Even a tank for my El Camino.
I ordered a 22 gallon FI tank. Install it and all is good until I fill it with gas. It leaked at the pinch weld seam...
They sent another and it had everything right even the right numbers stamped on it but it didn't have the bowl in the bottom of the tank for the fuel pump.
They sent another and it lasted about 10 years and then formed a crack in the bottom of it and proceeded to weep gas onto the ground.
All of them had a screwed up filler neck vent that would cause the pump filler to keep kicking off. None of them had the flanges bent up right and all were thicker than they should have been and didn't fit the straps right.

At the time a chinese manufacturer started making a tank as well and I bought one. The fit was perfect it didn't leak and had a proper filler neck vent. I don't know if they are still around though.
I love Canada and canadians but the company there makes the biggest garbage in the sheet metal and gas tank industry. Who would have thought that the quality of the asian import was far superior to a domestic product...

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
There is only one large company I'm aware of where I can email a company executive for a specific question on a specific Mustang part, and receive a very detailed answer in the same day. That company rhymes with NPD.

Granted I'll only ask Rick a question when I absolutely need to to spare his inbox, but he restores your confidence and faith in Mustang parts shopping, I'll say that.

BTW he posts on here as BossNine or something like that.

I used to play the pricing game, but no more. You're money ahead to buy a quality product the first time that has a better first. So quality reigns supreme for me. I know Rick is very picky about what NPD carries, and they're quite blunt about telling you if it sucks or is good in their catalog. NPD is your best bet.

Reactions: subpar63

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
The world of Mustangs would be 1000 times better is EVERY part sold was labeled with the manufacturer or manufacturer (s) for kits. I know, deep dark trade secrets.

However, most would be stunned to learn there are only 1 manufacturer of many parts, even though carried by 218,286 different Mustang vendors. So no matter who you buy from, return and get another, etc. it is still the same part made by the same company.

People would also be stunned if the date of manufacturer was on the item. For example, when Dallas Mustang bellied up a few months ago, there was a lot of upholstery that was 20 years old, quietly sitting on the shelf, weatherstrip that was 5+ years old, etc. Buy and Hold is not a great retail concept.

Fit and Finish is important, but also remember the ORIGINAL fit and finish, and garbage parts that were used "back then", gaps rivaling the Grand Canyon, parts rusting out in 3 years, etc. We are also spoiled compared to the Cougar or Falcon or Heaven Help the Person restoring a Chevy Citation (other than mental care). as to availability and price.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I see the guys that bought allot of that stuff from Dallas Mustang are having a hard time selling it as it's been listed for a long time. Which doesn't surprise me as car parts are hard to sell in the DFW area especially Ford stuff. I could sell GM stuff without even trying but not Ford. If they can't sell it for much less than Dallas mustang that shows you there is little to no market for parts here.

I also wonder about much of that sheet metal in how old it is as the stampings have gotten better over time. No telling how old some of them are... Like the torque boxes I got from Classic were the older style.

One of the problems with inventorying parts that many don't realize is the tax you pay on inventory every year. So those parts sitting on the shelf are costing you every year they sit there.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again for input. MustangerBob I agree and for restoration those parts you really do not know if they came from Taiwan, China, Korea, etc. That is not to say inferior quality, you just do not know. I think part of the hangup is that these old mustangs were kind of a legacy, icon, vehicle. American designed and manufactured product. In a time, the 1960's when American was much different then today. For myself, I will live with the fact the metal may vary in thickness form original, the coatings vary, the workmanship just will not be the same. I like the look of my 65 and will try to keep that image, including the four bolt wheels and hubcaps. But, I like the idea of a 5-speed transmission, larger gas tank, and comforts like heated seats.

Part of my beef with, say, CJ is they state in their nice video that "everything you need to install the tank(fuel) is included in the kit." And the videos are a nice service, much appreciated, for sure. But then in the online catalog part description for the tank clearly they are missing the caulking/sealant as part of the kit. So, am I left wondering if it is or is not part of the order. Simple question. No simple way to answer. So I will "make do with what I got."

·
Premium Member
6,792 Posts
But then in the online catalog part description for the tank clearly they are missing the caulking/sealant as part of the kit. So, I am left wondering if it is or is not part of the order. Simple question. No simple way to answer. So I will "make do with what I got".
What you want:

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
You'll find other uses for the rest of the box.

Water shields in your doors, front fenders, that stuff's useful all over the car.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Apparently, I was super lucky (and should have bought lottery tickets). I've purchased most of my '66 restore parts when they came up with sale prices and haven't had any issues with fit or quality (but then, I'm not building a concourse car). If you're building a driver/runner, use the sales (it'll save your pocket book).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts