Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to JohnPro who identified a major part of the electrical problem on my dead stang. I hooked the black wire from the alternator harness to the NEGATIVE side of the starter relay (solenoid) instead of the same side as the positive battery cable. whoops. Also, I had the two smaller wires reversed on the threaded terminals. Now I can rotate the engine with the starter, but it doesn't catch. Also, no fuel is coming up to the carb from the new mechanical fuel pump. Some of the electrical stuff works (heater fan), but others are weird still. For instance, if you turn the key to the accessory position the wipers turn on and the switch will not turn them off. I am going to diagram the fuse box tonight then check tomorrow with what I really have installed in the car - pin locations, wire colors etc. The brakes are bled, which is nice to get brakes. The vacuum lines for the A/C are now hooked up. Well, tomorrow will bring more mysteries to the forefront of stang restoration. Oh yes, thanks to the respondant who told me what he did with his 69 tilt wheel steering column to get it to connect to the steering box. I followed his advice and ground down the locating tab "bump" so as to slip the firewall plate further up the column. Tomorrow the column goes in and I'll find how successfully that worked.

sure it's fun, but it's only a car.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The wiper problem is usually internal to the wiper motor. The wiring circuit turns the wiper motor on, but there is a separate circuit inside the motor that keeps it on after you turn the main switch off. This is called the park circuit and its what allows the wipers to stay on until they reach the bottom of the windshield before they stop.

I have usually ended up changing the motor to cure this problem in the past, but on a couple of occations I was able to take it apart, clean everything and relube it, and it went back to working right again. Another time I fixed a weak ground to the wiper motor and that fixed the problem.

I have also heard that this happens sometimes when you run the motor without the wiper arms attached, so if you don't have them on you might want to try that first.

Dave J

My wife says if I buy another Mustang, she's gonna divorce me. I'm sure gonna miss her....

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the excellent information. As a matter of fact, the wiper arms are OFF at present, pending installation of the chrome around the windshield. I'll take heart that the absence of the wiper arms is my problem. Thanks again. I'd sure hate to take the cowl apart again.

sure it's fun, but it's only a car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts