Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went ot see the 69 tonight at the dyno shop. It was late and the place was getting ready to close, but made it just in time. Car was still hooked up on the dyno wheels. Saw a preliminary printout still on the computer, but the tech had gone home already. Should have more results tomorrow after cold tuning, setting choke, etc. Just wanted to see if it survived without blowing up!!! Did ok on that part. Showed about 265 hp, but wasn't able to see peak rpm. Showed about 400 ft/lbs of torque at what looked like slightly less than 5,000rpm, if I read it right. I'll know for sure tomorrow. Have a very mild cam in the .030 302, but seems like, if the numbers are in the ballpark, those Dart heads really woke this thing up. May not seem like a killer street engine, but it'll do for what I wanted it for.

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
I was going to say, whats done to it besides the cam and heads? But then I read the bottom. Must be the heads!! Man, am I regretting putting these E7's on this thing.

I don't think it gets much more killer street engine than 400tq.. Although I guess HP could be up there, but I would think that would still run 12's, no?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe with an optimized rear gear, good tires and some suspension work, it might get close. But, I'm still kinda impressed just knowing. Maybe I'm easily impressed. The engine isn't anything special - Edelbrock Performer cam, 570 Holley, a Performer intake, shorty headers. I am curious as I haven't taken the time to look it up - what was the torque on a stock hipo 289?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I have to admit to being surprised at the 400Lb\ft torque number from a NA 302. If this is indeed the right number, it's very, very impressive. I also believe that you showed amazing restraint by not oversizing the carb!

John

·
Registered
759 Posts
Do you have your cam specs? Anything special on pistons? Really am interested in your final numbers as I completed a dyno run this past weekend. Would like to compare numbers and see what is different in our setups.

302 .030 over
flat top pistons
Crane Cam 456/472 Hyd. 1800 to 5400 power range
(Memory: I need to confirm these numbers)
aluminum HI-rise Shelby intake
Stock 67 Ford non-thermactor Heads
575 cfm Barry Grant Speed Demon, re-jetted
primaries from size 62 to 66.
C-4
Tri-Y's into 2 1/2" X-pipe, 2 1/2" super turbo's,
chocked down to 2" 67 Shelby tips

Torque and Horsepower were right there thru the entire range 1800 to 5400.

Car feels absolutely awesome on street, but mu dyno numbers seem to be a low, if your numbers bare out. Tech basically told me there was nothing else I could with current setup, seemed to be optimal.

You did not get the experience of sitting in your car and running the car thru the pulls? I got to say, I was fearful and it seemed like an eternity before the tech gave signal to let off the gas. :grin:

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I would love to see the full dyno sheet...The hp numbers seem pretty low compared to the torque numbers..I would guess due to your cam,intake,and carb which are all fairly mild peices.

·
Registered
759 Posts
HP was between 163 to 173 rear wheels
Torque was between 180 and 190 rear wheels

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
What was the state of tune of the engine? Did the dyno shop do any tuning? From those numbers I would say the timing or air/fuel is way off. Those numbers should be bone stock 302 hp numbers.

·
Registered
759 Posts
This was a promotional deal the shop was having. They gave up 2 free pulls, but offered little info. I pushed a little asking about timing and air fuel, the response was he did not think there was anything I really needed to do to help. I do know that on at least the first pull the tech had the gross weight in the 4k area, which did not help. When he adj. weight on 2nd pull to 3200 the car picked up about 25 hp and about 25 foot lbs of torque. Not sure if it affected numbers, but I screwed up on slow down as I did not stick car in neutral, left in drive. I do not have tach in car, and had to use speedo to set what I thought was 50 mph, I do believe it off by 10 mph.

Air fuel has been a problem in this car. Before the primary jet increase the car was surging at highway speed, spark nocked, and never was happy unless choke was on. I worked with timing and never seen to make any difference overall, except car was way too hard to start. I moved timing back to 10 degrees BTD and started looking at fuel flow. Made sure fuel pressure was good to go then, I increased primary jet size incrementally from 62 to 66. The car runs very strong, no spark nock or surging.

So who knows at this point, I could screwed up in run, tech could have since it was freebie. Hell, maybe I need to work timing more. I do know that feels stronger than any stock 289/302 mustang I have ever driven and there have been quite a few.

The only reason, I'm interested in Showstang's numbers, is that it would appear that his setup is a lot like mine, except in the head area, not sure of his cam specs, but based on what was on Edelbrocks website his and my are comparable. Not sure which intake would be better his low rise or my shelby hi-rise breathing through open oval air cleaner with K&N filter.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
If it feels stronger, then it probably is. It sounds like there could have been a lot wrong with your pulls.

Showstangs Dart heads are far superior to what you have so he would have 30+ hp on you right there. Your hi rise intake, is it a single plane? If so, they like high rpms and with your current set up I'm not sure if you can take full advantage of it. I think that your cams are pretty similar if I remember correctly.

I probably wouldnt put much stock in those dyno numbers of yours, it sounds like there could have been a number of problems. Like I said, if it feels stronger, it probably is.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
NO, didn't get to be there when it was all done. I was originally told he wouldn't get to it until Tues., but he evidently was able to do it on Monday. All I'll get is the printout.
Engine is the original 302, .030 over, 9:1 Silvolite flat tops, Edelbrock Performer cam(I believe Crane has this same cam) installed straight up, .448/.472; 204*/214*, Dart Windsor Jr heads, Comp Cams Pro Magnum roller rockers, Edelbrock Performer intake and a 570 Holley out of the box (until it went to the dyno, I'm sure). No news on jets or mods yet.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Please post when you dyno it again.

I can believe the 265 hp but I am VERY skeptical that your combo can make 400 ft/lb of torque.

I've got 50 more cubic inches, worked Dart heads, a much more aggressive cam and a bigger carb and I doubt that I'm making that much torque.

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
Just remember if you want to extrapolate, that the HP and torque # will be equal at 5250 RPM. If you see the torque reading at 400 at slightly less than 5000rpm, your HP should be up there in the next few hundred RPM.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts