Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, new to posting on the site but have been here many times over the past 6 years.
Found a few Pintos, Granadas, and Mavricks. Can't I swap the front spindles fron any of these onto the stang 66/65 to get the disk brake conversion? Which cars rear end can I swap into the stang. I also have a Mustang II front suspension that I cut out and was thinking about swaping it on the the stang. Any thoughts?
Also, raz me if you all must, I had a 66 coupe with a good front clip, cancer in the back. I picked up someones project, a 65 coupe in the middle of a coupe to contertible conversion.
I am planning on finishing this conversion from a coupe to a convertible and I am trying to find someone that has done this already, whether it be by your self or had some shop someplace do it. I know it can be done because I have seen a few excoupe now convertible cars.
Just need to pick a few brains.

·
Registered
10,003 Posts
The MAIN thing about the conversion is this: Ford added extra bracing to the rockers, and under the floor tunnel. So, if you think you can do it with just a Sawzall, good luck.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm not going to be TOO helpful in the area of specifics, but here goes: there are vendors that sell the kits to change a coupe to convertible; Granada's are usually the donor cars for spindles in a drum to disk swap, and Mustang II front suspensions have been swapped into classic Mustangs. Nearly all these topics have been discussed in some form or fashion (along with links for vendors selling the appropriate kits). My luck with Search, though, is I never get the right combination of terms to find what I need (hence, no specifics :p ). Good luck!

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you can beg , borrow or steal a copy of "mustang Monthly", Feb 95, you will find an article on this conversion. The company is called "Driver's Seat Investments", contact details at the time were, Dept.MM, PO Box 569,Roswell, GA 30077. (404)993-7653. FAX:(404)998-1043. The kit included all chassis strengthening components and templates required. The cost was about $2400 at the time, and another $1500 got the job done by DSI.
Hope this helps,
nassi

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Roddster----its not going to be a "hack job". Actually I
can sell the quarter pannels and doors, they
are almost perfect, no rust and real straight.

71 grand----I know where Ford needed to do to strengthing
body for the convert. I always thought it was
like a 3rd grade engineering thing but thats
just me. I am going to make my own "sub frame"
connectore out of 2x2" square tubing connected
to 1/4 flat steel peices bolted and welded to
each subframe. They will also have two cross
sections. One just in front of the tranny
crossmember, the other just in front of where
the 2x2 peices bolt/weld onto the rear
subframe. I figure with all that the stang
will be a bit heaver but I think it would
give her more strength then those flimisly
kits I have seen in all the mags. I also
don't plan on running her in the 1/4 mile,
so there should be no real hard tourqe to
the body.
Now Someone out might think "what if you get into a bad bang up? how do you plan on fixing a frankenstine like that" Well heck, what if everyone gets into a bang up
You just pick up the peices and start again. Its not like every old mustang coupe is a rare thing, heck they should be a dime a dozen, but people actually think they have something when they have but a "run of the mill" coupe. Too much darn hype, but again, thats just me.

Nassi---thanks for the info. I see that your down under, :: man I just retired from the U.S. Navy after 20 years :: and visited your land a few times, heck if I could find a good job down there me and my family would move in a hearbeat. :) :) :) I mean real nice place, real nice people, I mean everyone. :: :: Man, we Americans are soo spoiled, :: and the bad thing is that most of us don't know it. :p :p

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
If a complete terminally rotted cv could be obtained for top, drain gutter, trim, seats, etc., and you would happen to have a rust free coupe of same style, it would be EASIER to convert the coupe than to repair the cv. Major drawback is vin # and would not go beyond that. It is not considered politically correct, but it certainly is feasible with the right car and parts. New structural parts are needed and will say that it easier to put them in the rust free coupe than cut out the old rotted parts. More than a sawzall is needed but that would be a major player! ::

1 - 6 of 6 Posts