Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daughter number 2 toasted a heater hose on her 96 Mustang. I taught her well and she turned off the car as soon as she noticed that she could no longer see out the windows.

Dad to the rescue! A little duct tape and water and we got it home in no time.

The next day after a struggle, I took off the heater hose. It consists of a 4 inch rubber hose attached to a nicely bent tube. The connection is made by a crimp fitting similar to what you would find on a power steering or air conditioning hose. The metal part of the hose bolts to the header. It runs under the fuel rails and other important bits and pieces. It was not an easy thing to get out.

I though to myself "Self... This thing is not going to be cheap!" So off to the Ford dealer. "Easy one pal! Just need a heater hose." His eyes rolled back in his head.

We found it in the parts book. 3.8 liter V6 Mustang. Next to it were the words....."Dealer should improvise"

Long story short... I ended up hack sawing off the crimp fitting and using a piece of rubber hose with two hose clamps. Our Mustangs are sure a lot easier to work on!

Daughter said "Thanks Dad! I know how much you like to fix cars." Well I like to fix them up but I don't like to fix them.

Putting on mag wheels is fun. Fixing a flat is not fun.
Putting on an aluminum manifold is fun. Fixing an intake leak is not fun.
Painting a car is fun. Fixing damage is not fun.

Oh well. Happy Fathers Day folks.

G

·
0 Posts
You should have tried to get parts for my Merc(until I got into Autozone & O'Reilley's asses on the web). I was told a 429, 429 CJ, & 429 SCJ didn't come in those cars even when I showed it to them! AC hoses are a bear too!

·
Registered
781 Posts
No different than at Napa, went there two weeks ago to get an oilpan gasket for my 70 351C4v, they told me they only made it for 71-74 Mustangs, and mine miust have a diffent engine in it!!!! hahaha, went two blocks to a local automotive parts store... (no national chain store), told them what I needed, they had it "in stock" at another location! I got it that afternoon!!!! hehe :)
JDiehl
70 76B Convert 351 C4v w/a shaker!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I know what you mean - some projects are more fun than others....

On a related parts story, I went to AutoZone yesterday for some parts related to my cooling system. The parts guy, who has come to know me and my mustang, and is always frustrated by chasing down those ancient '65 Ford parts numbers, looked at me and said "Man, why don't you just go and get yourself a Chevy?"

OUCH !!!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Dickson

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
You just answered the key meaning of mustang life, right here on the forum./forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

"I like to fix things up, but I don't like to fix things."

This truthful little sentance serves to baffle SWMBO, friends and relatives as to why I like to work on the mustang and dislike honey do's and general maintenance...

·
Registered
616 Posts
As an 'old" ex Ford Tractor dealer my least favorite term in the parts book was "FALL" or Fabricate at Local Level!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
It makes you wonder why manufactures make certain parts so complicated when it seems unnecessary. I understand certain items, but damn it a heater hose shouldn't be that difficult of an item to find and/or replace.

·
Registered
262 Posts
it's 1975,i've overhauled my boss 302,screwed up and lost the timing mark pointer,ford say's it like 3.00 but it's a x code. a what? when they finally get enough orders they will tool up and make some!they said i'd get one it would just take a while.i'm still waiting by the phone..... i saw one on e--y a couple of months ago brought 175.00! i should of ordered a 100 back in 75,i could buy another boss with the profits

·
Registered
313 Posts
Dickson,

You should have told that clown, "Why don't you get a job flippin' burgers if this one's too hard for you!"

I spent 73-93 mostly behind parts counters and it pains me royally to deal with these unprofessional bozos.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts