Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some parts that came with my car that I'm finally getting to
Not sure if these are special and wondering what the little plate is over the primary booster on the carb... Cam is still in sealed plastic.
IMG_0220.JPG IMG_0219.JPG IMG_0214.JPG IMG_0218.JPG

·
Registered
35,826 Posts
I have some parts that came with my car that I'm finally getting to
Not sure if these are special and wondering what the little plate is over the primary booster on the carb... Cam is still in sealed plastic. View attachment 763856 View attachment 763857 View attachment 763858 View attachment 763859
The cam is the "stock" 289 High Performance camshaft. An excellent street cam, if you don't mind adjusting the rockers. I drove mine every day for decades. Adjusted the valves at every other oil change. Got so I could do it in about an hour.
The C3OE-B wheel with the orange daub is the one specially rebalanced for the 289HP engine.
The plate is a baffle for the accelerator jets.

I have to wonder, since you already have two 289HP items, what carb number you have.

·
Premium Member
6,370 Posts
The cam is the "stock" 289 High Performance camshaft. An excellent street cam, if you don't mind adjusting the rockers. I drove mine every day for decades. Adjusted the valves at every other oil change. Got so I could do it in about an hour.
The C3OE-B wheel with the orange daub is the one specially rebalanced for the 289HP engine.
The plate is a baffle for the accelerator jets.

I have to wonder, since you already have two 289HP items, what carb number you have.
This sort of thing is why we love you.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My car is a K code but does not have the original block. I do have the hipo heads and exhaust manifolds on my current engine.
I just replaced the 1.12 C5AF (Non hipo) carb with a summit 600 cfm.I really wish I had a correct hipo carb ! The Carb in the picture is a 1.08 carb that came with the car. I have not seen a carb with that baffle in place before and wondered what it was for and if it was used on Mustangs ?
The car was converted to an AOD with R470W internals but the flywheel came with the car along with the vin matched toploader.
I also have the correct distributor , now replaced with a pertonix billet with vacuum advance, and correct steering box now replaced with borgson power steering
The current engine is a date correct 289 full roller so I won't be needing the cam anytime soon...

·
Registered
35,826 Posts
There have been shops who could use an ordinary 1.12 to create a replica of the 289HP carb. Perhaps one of the current carb restorers could do that for you.

Why not put the Pertronix unit in the C5OF-E? I like your use of the AOD, but keep all the 4-speed stuff in case yo ever get the urge. I had a worked C4 for a long time but eventually went back to the 4-speed.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the carb I was battling a flat spot during transition and was to the point where I could spend money on a full rebuild on a 50 year old carb or just buy a new carb.
The carb was rebuilt by "Pony Carb's" several years ago but sat open on a shelf until I installed it this year.
If it was the "correct" carb for the car it would be a no-brainer to rebuild ! I would love to find one that I could afford, have you seen the price of those things ?
I would've had no problem installing the kit, but I think some of the small passages may be partially blocked and a professional cleaning is in order...

Actually I do have the Pertronix unit currently in the C5OF dizzy but I really want to see if the vacuum advance makes a difference after Dan tunes it up.
Maybe I will send him both distributors and have the option of vac or non vac advance.

·
Registered
35,826 Posts
With the carb I was battling a flat spot during transition and was to the point where I could spend money on a full rebuild on a 50 year old carb or just buy a new carb.
The carb was rebuilt by "Pony Carb's" several years ago but sat open on a shelf until I installed it this year.
If it was the "correct" carb for the car it would be a no-brainer to rebuild ! I would love to find one that I could afford, have you seen the price of those things ?
I would've had no problem installing the kit, but I think some of the small passages may be partially blocked and a professional cleaning is in order...

Actually I do have the Pertronix unit currently in the C5OF dizzy but I really want to see if the vacuum advance makes a difference after Dan tunes it up.
Maybe I will send him both distributors and have the option of vac or non vac advance.
Sitting can lead to dried out seals, etcetera. And yeah, I put mine together from pieces when they could still be found. Even then, a complete HP carb was scary. Only carb I know of that costs more is a BOSS 351.

Interesting idea on the distributors. Consider sending Dan the carb, too.

These are listed as 'out of stock', but you might ask them about future availability-

Or you can try these guys-

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man, I would love to find a C4OF core that I could rebuild . If anyone knows of any please let me know ;).
I have looked ant those choke conversions in the past.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts