Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because you guys love spending my money for me, I'm biting on a 3.55 trak lock rear, and then I'll have friends.

I'm going to need new gear oil with friction modifier (how much?), new gasket for the differential, new axle flange paper gaskets, new speedo gear,...

What else?

Axle oil seals I have replaced previously.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
While you have the center section out, I'd recommend adding a drain plug to your housing. Fresh U joints won't hurt either.

One bottle of the Motorcraft friction modifier is usually enough. Your list seems

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
U joints were replaced a few years ago.
Drain hole— drill and tap for a plug?

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered the third member tonight. Yay!

There's two different axle flange gaskets...which one do I need, or is it both? it's been about 10 years since I've had the axles out.

·
Premium Member
13,231 Posts
You need 4 gaskets total- 2 for each side. There's a gasket on each side of the brake backing plate and they're not the same gasket. Maybe replace the axle seals inside the housing also.

·
Registered
37,717 Posts
Don't forget a tube of thread-locker for your u-joint u-bolt nuts and bearing retainer/flange nuts.

·
Registered
383 Posts
When you put your carrier in there were orinally copper washers under each nut to prevent the gear oil from leaking since the threads go clean through into the gear oil. The washers squash and makes a seal like they do on a disc brake caliper hose. The hardware store has copper washers

Gasgacinch the gasket to the housing

Install new axle seals.

Spin your axle bearings to make sure they are nice and smooth.

Just takes a little tube of the Positraction additive. This is the one we used on the phone company trucks. We had a lot of 4x4s with positraction. If you changed the gear oil and did not add a tube of this stuff you got a complaint the very next day from the driver. The vehicle's differential chatters going around corners. You'd swear something had broken inside there. A few ounces of this and the problem went away. We had gear oil that was suppose to contain the additive already in it. It did not work, we still had to add a tube of this.

·
Registered
37,717 Posts
I suggest you do NOT use hardware store copper washers. They typically are too hard to properly "squish" and the inside diameter is sometimes too large. I recommend obtaining the proper washers. I'd think your local Ford dealer would have quite a few in stock.

·
Registered
‘69 Cougar convertible resto mod
97 Posts
I added both a fill port

as well as a drain plug

I bought both from Strange Engineering

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I suggest you do NOT use hardware store copper washers. They typically are too hard to properly "squish" and the inside diameter is sometimes too large. I recommend obtaining the proper washers. I'd think your local Ford dealer would have quite a few in stock.
I've got a bin of assorted copper washers that I think I got at an auto parts store.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts