Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to switch from my 3 to a 4 speed and I am looking for info on what it takes to do it.
Can anyone help me with info?
Thanx
Gordy

G

·
0 Posts
All you will need is a 4-speed transmission and a shifter this might be a good time to replace the clutch and throw out bearing.
Check out the parts for sale section.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
If you are going to do that, and if original does not matter, you'll gain more by going with a 5 speed. You'll need some more parts , but you'll get OD . The 3spd and the 4spd have the same 1:1 final ratio. JMO

·
Registered
419 Posts
A SB Top loader, 4 speed shifter, and speedo cable. As others have mentioned, replace all the good stuff while your there.

Jeff

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
If you get a 4 speed for a good price and trust the seller, it can be a good upgrade.....any 60's/early 70's 4 speed will keep your motor in a narrower rpm range (easier to keep up power!!)

Beware of 80's 4 speed tranny's as many were just 3 speeds with an overdrive, and are weak!!

·
Registered
923 Posts
As posted if you are going to pay for the 4 speed. You might want to consider the T-5. Depending on the money. If you do go to a T-5 your rear end will be a little low. You'll have to be doing 70 before you can really use 5th gear. The 3 speed cars had 2.80 rear gears. A 3.00 of 3.25 would be better. Going to 3.5 or 3.55 rears make 5th very usable but you really loose 1st gear. You'll role about 5 ft and have to shift to 2nd. Alot of 2.8 setups just don't use 1st gear.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
4spds of the period also use a different and now expensive reverse light switch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts