Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I just stripped my '69 mach 1's interior and it looks like its going to need a pass side front torque box. The area of the toe board underneathe the heater box has two - nice sized rot holes in it. Although, from underneathe, the torque box doesnot look that bad at all. I've never had to do torque boxes yet (but I can weld). Can any of you guys who've done them on these cars help me out and point me in the right direction. Would you guys like to see pics of the rust? Funny thing is - the floor pan is solid as a rock on the pass side but the pass side toruqe box has got rot in it. The driver's side pan needs replacement, but the driver's torque box is solid!

Thanks,
Ted Young

·
Registered
993 Posts
Hey this replacement sucks... I did both sides on my 69 a few months ago. I also took a ton of pictures of the process for others who will be going through the same process. If you send me a PM I'll zip up some pics and send them your way. You might be able to get away with just cutting out the holes and pataching them as well. My T-boxes were rotten, had to do the frame rails as well. Send me a pic if you can

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Fun job ahead for you. But, it's gotta be done. I did them in the 68, and I can't weld!!! You'll do fine. Take your time.
Take pics, too.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they aren't as hard to do as a lot of folks say they are.They DO REQUIRE some trimming to fit,,,,and it will be a lot easier if you take the new box apart(drill out thier spot welds and seperate the two halves)You may get lucky and just have to replace the top only.Ford had a defect in these 68 to 70 models when they were new. The firewall,,,top of the torque box,,and inner apron (hood hinge apron)all meet at the common area there. There was virtually no sealer,,,just some dum-dum in the corner at the apron where it meets the firewall. They were doomed from the start to rust due to the 3 pieces of metal sandwiched together at that spot.Please seam-seal and undercoat the hell out of that area so no water can migrate through the top of the torque-box.Remember,,,SILICONE RTV IS NOT A SEAM SEALER...it contains acetic acid which will make metal rust fast.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kaiser, where can I get some seam sealer? Good thing you mentioned the silicon RTV thing,,,we were going to use it. I have a bunch of STP ruberized undercoting that I got when an auto parts store was liquidationg - good stuff - not as thick and heavy as the old stuff and it seems to stay on better too. My driver's side box looks like it just needs to be patched on the top - I am going to pull away the upper floors (toe boards) to check both boxes out from the top. I need to make a new toe board for the driver's side anyway. The passenger's side one looks like it is a little more rusty on the bottom - but both look good in the front wheel well area - very solid there. When you did this job, did you just replace the sections that butt up to the floor/firewall? I will totally replace them if need be to do the job right - but if I can do the job right and not have to totally remove them I'd rather do that.

Thanks,
Ted Young

1 - 7 of 7 Posts