Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am putting in the fresh 302 that I just built, everything is going great. I get the motor on the hoist to mate it to the tranny, things still going good. I get the flywheel on and the torque converter on and bolt on the tranny on but something is not quite right. The weight on the flywheel is rubbing on the seperator plate, oh man. Which is when I notice the flywheel is bent, because I didnt line up the drain plug hole correctly on the converter and torqued it all down. Take is all apart, the ring gear on the flywheel is bowed out the welds on the counter weight are broke. Brand new never been used flywheel out the window, because I am a moron and didnt line up the torque converter correctly.

Thats my story, next day progress picked up a new flywheel and the motor is now in and once I make a few conections and fill it with fluid I should be set.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Did you one better . Did the same thing , but we pulled the block and trans apart so we could line up the bolt holes . Used a screwdriver on the solenoid to bump the starter to turn the flexplate . BBBBBBAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG . Oops . Sounded like a shotgun going off . Blew the top off of 4 cells and 2 sides of the battery . Parts found 30 feet away . Battery blew due to being low on fluid and a spark . Luckily I only had ringing ears . Quickly washed down engine compartment as we had just installed a new wiring harness .

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Look at the bright side ... you will never do that again! ;)

The first thing I do, when mating an automatic tranny to an egine, before tightening any bolts is to spin the engine around until I see the TC drain plug in one of the flexplate holes. I'm sure it will now be the first thing you do as well. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.