Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after working on the left and right UCA's I was only able to bang out the ball joint with the "fork" on the drivers side. The other side ball joint would not budge so my brother disconnected the upper and lower CA's and handed me the SPINDLE with the ball joint shaft cut to bring to the SHOP and have them DRIVE OUT the ball joint stud from its stuck position in the spindle. I hope they have an hydralic press to push it out from its setting in the spindle. Has anyone had this problem with a stubbron UCR ball joint that refuses to budge?? How much should I expect them to charge me for pressing out the ball joint threated stud from the spindle. PS Could they possibly destroy my spindle attempting to dislodge the ball joint stud ???? :eek:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Heat it with a torch and beat it out yourself.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Lemondrop has the technique down...

You could likely do this at home too, if you had the requisite tools.

As a last resort, I quickly bring the spindle to 500 degrees or so with the torch while exerting pressure (usually 5-10 tons or so) and that breaks the taper loose.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THAT is exactly what they did-- I brought it to the Mobile station across the street from the Post Office where I work- when I was on my official 20 minute post office afternoon break at noontime- The guys told me to LEAVE IT and they will "take care of it" So I grabbed a cup of coffee next door and walked around the block- as I was headed back to the zPost Office - Paul the owner called out across the street "Het Champ- its Done Come oooon over" It took him less than 3 minutes to DO what I have been trying to do over a whole week end-- anyway when I asked the PRICE - he said NADDA -Freebie-- I offered the guy 10 bucks- but he said he couldnt take my money BUT I already told the Bosses Paul and Sean that at noontime tomorrow I will be bringing over a large pizza and a six pack of Pepsi-- No booze for the crew during work hours. Soooo if you are ever in Port washington New York and need Car Help just go to the Mobile Gas Station at the end of Port Washington Blvd across from the Port Washington Post Office. They are Good Guys. :: ::

1 - 5 of 5 Posts