Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
paw sells their engine master kit with camshaft+lifter & timming chain and no cam berings for 300$ and summit sells theirs with cam bering and no camshaft and no timming chain.
witch should i buy and if anyone had problems with either i all ready have arp head stud,felpro head gasket,midion street pan/pickup,melling hi-volume pump arp oil pump and pickup bolts from jegs for my rebuild for a stock 73.do have to tack-weld my pick-up to the oil pump like chevys or the bolts by them selfs ok.ohh yah one more question if i ask for a (i think is a 67)kit with higher compretion like 9.1 insted of 8.5 will i need to use low octain gas still and will it all fit.i think i can make that simple,i mean if i order a early mustang 302 kit will it fit my 73' 302

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Although many, many people have had very good luck with these kits, I am just not a big fan of these because for a few more $'s I can get a brand name that I want (even though they are probably making it for PAW or Summit).

I use locktight on the bolts and yes as a precaution I tack weld the pick up tube...just cause I'm lazy and don't like dropping pans.

This is all, just an opinion............................talk to ten people, you'll get 10 opinions!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Both places have been around a long time. I'de order parts from either.

If you put a performance cam in the car you need to worry about the valve spring. So if your upper end can handle the cam you'll feel the cam. A timing chain is also a good thing. If the cam bearings look good then you can re-use them.

Thats the best exuse i can come up with for picking one over the other. I'm sure thats also why not many people replied, its a flip of a coin.

I can't think of any problem between 67 and 73.

Octane is used to prevent ping. If your not pinging higher octane will no increase performance in vintage motors. In some modern computer controlled engine they use a knock detector and push the timing till it knocks and backs it off so they can take advantage of octane. Under about 9.5:1 compression can run fine on 87 octane, under 10.5:1 you can get way with premium. As a safety measure you drop back to 9:1 and 10:1. You will gain about 10 HP going to 9:1 over 8.5:1, and 10:1 will have 20 HP over 9:1 but require premium. Now if you fill the car with premium gas and advance the timing as far as possible just short of pinging when you go back to regular you'll start to ping. So its not if your reqired to run low octane, its more correct to say that it won't require premium.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts