Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I highly recomend it if anyone is interested in the gains. It was worth it. After working all the bugs out I saved up and bought the Paxton supercharger. It was great. Craig Conley at "Paradise Wheels" in CA did all the work. He is the owner, and exclusive retailer of the vintage Paxton Cobra kits. He custom bulids the charger according to your car. He takes into account your rear end gears, cam, type of lifters, compression, and even the type of water pump you have. All in all, it was an experience. I am thouroughly satisfied with the gains. Now, I'm thinking it would be great on a 347 stroker. There's always a next level.

·
Registered
21,374 Posts
My bother has an '89 5.0 with a Vortex. I know what you mean!

You shouldn't need a 347, just turn up the wick on the Paxton. You'll make all the hp your car can handle with a 289/302 with a supercharger.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Glad to hear you like it.

I've been telling people for years that it is the easiest (and sometimes cheapest) way to a big smile on your face. Funny, I have never met someone that put one on and wondered why they hadn't done it sooner.

BTW, what rear gear are you running and how tall are your tires?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an open 2.70 rear right now. I;m traveling from Texas to Cali so I'll need them. But they roll great. My tires are 25 inches in diameter, 245 40ZR all the way around on a 66 coupe.

G

·
So what do they have to do to it thats dependent on your gearing, engine, ect.

I'm just worried if I want to put in lower gears later, or a whole new engine in a few years down the road, how would it affect the SC

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, Craig geared the charger specifically for my specs. I do have plans for a 3.50 posi rear soon. But, because of the low gears I have it is a bit slower off the line. Craig set it up so I'd get more boost than usual right off idle. So, even with the 2.70 gears it feels likw I'm running a 3.25- 3.55 rear, but getting a higher top speed on the highway and not winding up as high.

Check this out from Roadracers website:
http://home.netcom.com/~jonescha/Paxton%20Description.htm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts