Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to post an ad, but I don't want to use Pay-Pal, I am getting E-mails saying someone has been trying to use my Pay-Pal account, and I don't have one. I called Pay-Pal and they said it is a fake website trying to get my password. My son had to cancel his account. Is there another way? I tried to use the contact us and it bounced back to me.

·
Registered
435 Posts
It's safe to assume that each and every email from PayPal is actually someone phishing(trying) to get your account information. The urls will take you to sites that look like PayPal, but are only used to gather your account info when you type it in. If you never respond to those emails, and never click on the fake URLs to enter account information, your account will be just fine. Just know that if you want to access your account, open a new window and type in the actual url (http://www.paypal.com).

Ben

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
If Paypal contacts you directly, they will use your real name, not DEAR SIR, or HEY MR GULLIBLE or something generic. I NEVER respond to any emails from Paypal. If they do send an email, it will advise where you can go to their OFFICIAL website to get the information. Like Ben said, assume any email is bogus. I have been using Paypal successfully for years with no problems. Not to say I won't have one tomorrow....

·
Registered
259 Posts
I periodically receive emails from so-called Paypal to update my information in order to continue using Paypal. If not, then the account will be suspended.
Totally fake and a scam. I always respond with negativity and threaten to report them.
There are the same emails from so-called e-bay as well.

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
You can send bob a check. The address is at the bottom of the page.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will take this as a sign from God to keep the 66 fastback. Thank you VMF for helping me re-consider! I am getting to many projects! Sometimes I just loose it.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Just delete them unless they use your real name. Almost all Paypal, Ebay e-mail is spam or some attempt to get you to sign in with your real credentials to a bogus site. I am a computer security consultant, trust me just delete the e-mail, don't get worked up and it is better for you to not respond to the e-mail, it is just a program noting which accounts are active. You simply target yourself more.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Don't bother to reply back to the scammer, it's just another way for them to confirm that you are actively using your email account. You're address is likely being pushed into another scammers database.

Also, never click on the links provided in the email, some of them look very realistic, however the link actually associated to the "click here" or "www.paypal.com" could actually bring you to someplace totally different. The best way to go to a site that you have bussines with is to just type it yourself in the address bar... and once you are there, take another look at it to be sure you actually got where you wanted to go.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
That email is a scam. They are hoping that you have a PayPal account, and that you'll log into their server with your PayPal user id and password, which they will record ... then go to PayPal and clean out your account.

Just delete that email and ignore it. Unless you know how to look into the header and find the original sender, you're best just staying away from it.

I got a couple of those emails, so I got the idiot's email address out of the header and sent him a scathing email, basically telling him to get a life (with lots of explicitives in it). I then blocked my mail server from accepting any mail from his server, and haven't heard from him since :winkgrin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts