Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put a rebuilt 5.0 into our 65 convert. Using an old school Edelbrock F4B intake and will install a 1406 Edelbrock carb today. Put a 4100 on it yesterday - should have done my homework here first, found out the F4B & a 4100 aren't real compatible, had a healthy vacuum leak.

Optionswith edelbrock carb are;

1. use an aluminum carb spacer with a port for the PCV connection or

2. use a phenolic spacer that doesn't have a port and just screw a fitting into the rear of the edelbrock carb for PCV connection - i expect this is the better scenario with the heat reduction.

I'm assuming either will work equally well but would rather consult you guys than assume.

Please let me know, thanks everyone.

Ryan22

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I have an F4B and edelbrock carb on a 260 in a Sunbeam. The PCV connection on the carb is dead center on the front of the carb.
I use a PCV valve from a 90's 5.0. It has a right angle hose barb. I bent up a length of 3/8 tubing that goes forward along the top of the valve cover then makes a 180 turn to line up with the nipple on the carb. Short lengths of rubber vacuum hose make connections at each end. I also put a joggle bend close to the PCV so the tube lay down closer to the valve cover and went under the spark plug wires.

No hose clamps at the connections and it has been problem free for the 10 years since I installed it.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
If you use the threaded port on the rear of the manifold the vapors will only be drawn into and burned in the rear cylinders. Depending on the innards it might be 2 or all 4 of them in the rear.
It is just best to let it suck into all 8 cylinders.

·
Registered
37,851 Posts
If you're putting a 4100 on an F4B you need to a) use the factory aluminum PCV spacer (which you should anyway with either carb) and use the correct Autolite 4100 base gasket and not a generic Holley gasket. The correct gasket looks like this....

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In reply to post #4 from 1ofAMillion- If the pcv hose is run to the front connection on the carb then the vapors are more equally drawn into all the cylinders ?

Thanks-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts