Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently spent the night looking into the PCV system in my moms '65 coupe and I am confused. This car has been recently been restored by my older grandfather and I am not entirely sure that he did this right. The tube running from the back of the carburetor that is supposed to go into the PCV valve was only connected to the carburetor, and the other end of the tube was plugged and lying on top of the valve lid. Also, there is no grommer in between the valve cover and the PCV valve, is that needed? The real confusing for me is that there is no place for a breather hose (I will add pictures). To better explain, no where on the driver side valve cover is there a place to hook up the PCV tube. I am currently under the impression that you need two tubes on both valve covers to correctly use the PCV system, one tube to take dirty air out of the engine, and a second to provide fresh air to flush vapors out of the crankcase. Correct me if I am wrong.I am knew to this so let me know!

·
Registered
858 Posts
The tube from the base of the carb goes to the PCV valve which should have a grommet where the valve itself plugs into the valve cover, looks like it does from the pic. Should be a snug fit. On the other side it originally would have a hose going to the air cleaner, but you can just have a cap with a filter or something, just needs to be able to pull air in. Make sure your PCv valve is good and even if it is you will find after you take the plug out of the hose and hook up the Pcv you will need to adjust the carb as you will be adding a calibrated vacuum leak so to speak.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
In your second picture, the item you have circled is the PCV valve, or at least it looks like one to me! The hose from the base of the carb needs to be hooked up to it, and it will draw the air out and into the intake system to be burned up in the combustion chamber. In your first picture, the area you have circled is where most folks have the oil fill tube on their small blocks. You don't need a second PCV there, so don't worry about it. How are you getting oil into the engine?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tube from the base of the carb goes to the PCV valve which should have a grommet where the valve itself plugs into the valve cover, looks like it does from the pic. Should be a snug fit. On the other side it originally would have a hose going to the air cleaner, but you can just have a cap with a filter or something, just needs to be able to pull air in. Make sure your PCv valve is good and even if it is you will find after you take the plug out of the hose and hook up the Pcv you will need to adjust the carb as you will be adding a calibrated vacuum leak so to speak.
So do I need to replace the valve covers? So that there is a place to put the filter on.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
The diagram shows the incoming air going through the air cleaner, but some systems have a filter in the cap on the valve cover and no tube from the air cleaner. Be sure all the hoses are go, and don't leak, and that the grommet around the PCV valve is also good.
As noted, the PCV system creates a minor air leak at idle (by design) and you might need to readjust your carburetor's idle.
PCV diagram.gif

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The diagram shows the incoming air going through the air cleaner, but some systems have a filter in the cap on the valve cover and no tube from the air cleaner. Be sure all the hoses are go, and don't leak, and that the grommet around the PCV valve is also good.
As noted, the PCV system creates a minor air leak at idle (by design) and you might need to readjust your carburetor's idle.
View attachment 753550
Thanks that is definitely helpful, but as shown in the pic there is no place to but a filter cap on. Do I need to replace one if not both of the valve covers and purchase one with a place to but a filter cap on?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Where is your oil filler cap now? I can't tell from your pictures. Wherever it is you could possibly find a breather style cap if it doesn't have one already.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where is your oil filler cap now? I can't tell from your pictures. Wherever it is you could possibly find a breather style cap if it doesn't have one already.
I am not entirely sure, do have any suggestions as to where to look. I am all ears!

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Better lighting is a must to be able to see what you have there. But, there should be a oil filler neck there. This is the typical location for the oil filler and capped off with a cap that has an integral filter. FYI, the shiny flat disc is the top of the oil filler cap. They can either push onto the filler neck or be a type that inserts, twists and locks. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Better lighting is a must to be able to see what you have there. But, there should be a oil filler neck there. This is the typical location for the oil filler and capped off with a cap that has an integral filter. FYI, the shiny flat disc is the top of the oil filler cap. They can either push onto the filler neck or be a type that inserts, twists and locks. Hope this helps.
Yes this does! sorry for the bad lighting I noticed the problem last night and took the pic with a flashlight. Though I do have a question, what is the difference between a breather cap and an oil filler cap? I will later today be posting better pictures so feel free to come back. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
You ask "what is the difference between a breather cap and an oil filler cap?" Nothing!
Just different words for the same cap. Typically, we call it an oil filler cap, since it's where you add your oil, either, after draining and refilling for a change, or, to add oil if the level is low. BTW, if this car has been setting idle for a long time, maybe it's time to drain the oil , replace the filter and refill.
FYI, If you are using a cell phone, you can turn on the "flash" manually to add light to your pic.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You ask "what is the difference between a breather cap and an oil filler cap?" Nothing!
Just different words for the same cap. Typically, we call it an oil filler cap, since it's where you add your oil, either, after draining and refilling for a change, or, to add oil if the level is low. BTW, if this car has been setting idle for a long time, maybe it's time to drain the oil , replace the filter and refill.
FYI, If you are using a cell phone, you can turn on the "flash" manually to add light to your pic.
Ok I believe that my oil filler cap is next to the dipstick. So if I already have one do I just Connect the PCV valve to the back of the Carb and call it a day?

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Ok I believe that my oil filler cap is next to the dipstick. So if I already have one do I just Connect the PCV valve to the back of the Carb and call it a day?
Either you have an early engine, possibly a 260 with a 289 air cleaner, or just some earlier parts on the engine with the oil filler tube on the front cover and not on the valve cover. Similar to this? I circled the oil filler.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I think i solved the problem! Thank you everyone, here are some pics in case you are curious. I think all I need is a new grommer for the PCV valve and some small hose clamps for the tube!

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Get a better pic of each valve cover to include your existing cap. Pull the filler cap off and look beneath it. There should be a series of holes around the circumference. This indicates the cap has a integrated filter. BTW, a third name name for this cap is a "breather" cap, since it allows the engine's PCV system to breath.
However, you mention this cap is near the dipstick? This indicates, it's on the passenger's side or same side as the PCV hole. This true? If so, this is not a correct setup, if you go up a few posts to the pic of the PCV system in post #5. The cap is opposite of the PCV. The pic may be confusing to someone not used to this vintage engines, since the view is from the driver's seat looking forward. The filler cap should be on your right as viewing from the radiator. Look at my pic. My cap is at the front of the valve cover on your right looking from the radiator.

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Ok, I see what the issue is here, you have an early 260 V8 (?) with the oil filler in the timing cover. I'm not sure the early 289s (mine doesn't had the timing chain cover oil filler tube. Anyway, that's why there is no cap on the right front. Your better pics showed this. Thanks for the clarification. Also, it appears you have a "Generator" too, this further defines your block as an early V8.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, I see what the issue is here, you have an early 260 V8 (?) with the oil filler in the timing cover. I'm not sure the early 289s (mine doesn't had the timing chain cover oil filler tube. Anyway, that's why there is no cap on the right front. Your better pics showed this. Thanks for the clarification. Also, it appears you have a "Generator" too, this further defines your block as an early V8.
So should everything work out? or is there a problem?

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Yep, add a grommet to the PCV, insure it's clear when you shake it. (Rattles).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts