Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the novice question, but I'm trying to replace my pcv valve. This pcv valve looks much different than what I bought at Summit to replace it. And, I'm having a heck of a time getting it out too.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
14,312 Posts
What you have is probably the wrong PCV. I've never seen one that looked like that in a Ford engine. A P.O. probably had it laying around so he just stuck it in there.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
5,343 Posts
Looks like a brass barbed fitting of some type to me, like for plumbing. I’d definitely pop that valve cover and see what’s on the other side.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It spins freely and I thought maybe it was threaded but it won't back out or maybe because of a nut on the underside as has been suggested. I really don't want to take the valve cover off but I may have to at this point.

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
It looks a LOT like the original PCV valves on the late 65 and 66 289s, some 390s and some later Fords that were actually sourced from AC / GM. I have an NOS one at home for my car when I next detail my engine, and my son's 289 still has it on there. The original rubber grommets are often so hardened up they won't flex to allow the lip to escape. Look for the AC marking or a C5ZZ or C6ZZ engineering number on it.

Reactions: gaw

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks a LOT like the original PCV valves on the late 65 and 66 289s, some 390s and some later Fords that were actually sourced from AC / GM. I have an NOS one at home for my car when I next detail my engine, and my son's 289 still has it on there. The original rubber grommets are often so hardened up they won't flex to allow the lip to escape. Look for the AC marking or a C5ZZ or C6ZZ engineering number on it.
The only reason I'm wanting to change it is because of some stumble issues I'm having. I'm sure these parts are very hard to find. I'm hoping it can be cleaned up and reused once I get it out. Thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Found pictures online but most say for foreign cars. Never seen one myself. Does the grommet spin with it or does it spin inside the grommet?
Household hardware Cylinder Auto part Magenta Nickel

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
I think it is threaded through the grommet or may have just pushed thru 50-something years ago, and the grommet would probably just spin or strip now. I hope the VC doesn't have to come off to get the PCV valve out, cleaned and back in. There wasn't a keeper ring or nut with the new one I got.
As a matter of fact, I think the threaded portion is on the top, with the single cad-plated squeeze wire clamp on the hose and the nipple is pushed through the grommet on the original....
Automotive lighting Fluid Cylinder Auto part Nickel

Wood Gas Tin Metal Rectangle

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Unless someone put a nut on the other side, which would be no bueno for the valve train, it should unthread or pull out. Only one way to find out…..

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
It's interesting to me that yours has blue paint on it and rust on the VC nearby suggesting it has never been removed and the VC never painted. These type have a snap ring in the bottom of the valve to take them apart, clean them, and put them back in, instead of the throw-away crap from auto parts stores nowadays.

Reactions: gaw

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hey, I can take almost anything apart…getting it back together…well? 😂

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
Take off the valve cover so you can see what’s going on with the back side. A spinning grommet is likely as mentioned earlier.

It will take about 2 minutes to remove the cover and the same to reinstall. Less time than it takes to type out a post on the VMF.

New grommet and new valve cover gasket and you are ready to go.

Z

·
Registered
39,524 Posts
I wonder how far into the valve cover it goes? Thinking maybe somebody got the PCV for a early 221/260/289 when they were attached at the back of the intake manifold and stuffed it in there....

Cylinder Audio equipment Font Gas Metal

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
Sorry for the novice question, but I'm trying to replace my pcv valve. This pcv valve looks much different than what I bought at Summit to replace it. And, I'm having a heck of a time getting it out too. View attachment 818544
Looks OE to me. That's the way the assembly line item looked originally. My photo shows a NOS one for a hipo.
Might have a cir-clip on the bottom holding the guts together..... you might be able to take it apart and clean it.
Definitely better quality than what you can get today. Should be an engineering number stamped on the OD, when
you get it out of the grommet. Lip on the bottom of the valve is why it isn't coming out of the grommet easily.

Liquid Fluid Sink Table Material property

·
Registered
39,524 Posts
Looks OE to me. That's the way the assembly line item looked originally. My photo shows a NOS one for a hipo.
Might have a cir-clip on the bottom holding the guts together..... you might be able to take it apart and clean it.
Definitely better quality than what you can get today. Should be an engineering number stamped on the OD, when
you get it out of the grommet. Lip on the bottom of the valve is why it isn't coming out of the grommet easily.

View attachment 818650
Yeah, the grommet is probably so hard that it won't let go of it.

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
Common issue back in the day. I remember this deal from doing a tune up on ours back when I was in high school.
(valve spins but won't pull out.... rubber grommet hard as ....... )

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
I’d pop of the vc, see if it’s fastened in any way and if not, set it on a deep socket or a block of wood with appropriate sized hole and tap it out with a dowel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts