Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a picture of the ends of a PCV valve handy? I pulled mine today, and it looks like it missing something. The plunger inside moves, but doesn't line up with the hole. The plunger moves freely. Is there supposed top be a rubber seal inside?

I tried going to my local auto parts store (not big box), but they had none in stock to look at it. I know they are cheap, and I should have a spare, but......

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Anyone have a picture of the ends of a PCV valve handy? I pulled mine today, and it looks like it missing something. The plunger inside moves, but doesn't line up with the hole. The plunger moves freely. Is there supposed top be a rubber seal inside?

I tried going to my local auto parts store (not big box), but they had none in stock to look at it. I know they are cheap, and I should have a spare, but......
Hello,

It is most helpful to add your engine and year to the post. Even better, add basic info to you signature.
Yes, it may be a "67", but, not sure. Perhaps a pic of your PCV is even better.
Not being harsh, just need to know details to better answer your question(s).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So....to answer questions

Engine...modified 289. Edelbrock aluminum heads, edelbrock intake and carb, flat tappet cam of some sort. Not sure on that. Lots of other work done. Rebuilt with less than 1000 miles on it.

Maybe I wasn’t asking the correct question.

So, the other day I was checking fluids and just generally going over and cleaning up the under the hood. I noticed oil on the outside of the passenger side valve cover, at the PVC valve grommet. I pulled the hose, and PCV valve off.
The PVC valve was full of oil. I cleaned the valve with some carb cleaner, and noticed that the plunger inside doesn’t seem to line up with the hole in the bottom.

What I’m trying to ask is if the pcv valve has a seal in the bottom that the plunger sits in. My local parts store ordered 2 for me, and will be here in the tomorrow morning. I could of just ordered them from Amazon, but since i was in the store, I figured I would shop local.

I’ll update my profile to include my engine. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
You might want to look into the valve cover with the grommet removed and determine if there is a baffle installed under the PCV. It should be visible about 3/8"-1/2" down. It can help to minimize the oil that will make it's way into the valve. Without knowing what valve covers you're running, it's difficult to say if they will have the raised bosses needed to mount one.Without actually seeing your PCV, it's impossible to determine if it is normal and operating correctly.
I run aftermarket PCV and valve covers (with a baffle) and have little or no oil showing.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Valve cover has a baffle in it

I think the valve stuck open, and led to the oil issue. I guess that it was just a failure of the valve. I know they are cheap, and should keep a spare around. Thanks for the link....buying a better quality valve sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I know that the billet PCV is more money, but this one is still going strong after 20+ years and can be disassembled and cleaned, if necessary. I've done it once. BTW- I just pulled this from my valve cover for the photo. Notice how little oil is in the valve.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts