Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about ready to start with the front manual to disc brake swap and want to add a power brake booster. My question is who makes the most concours' correct booster/MC assembly? Are there any issues with installing on a 65 convertible? I have heard that the firewall to shock tower brace has to be notched for clearance. Photos would be a great help. Thanks in advance.

John

·
Registered
942 Posts
I've seen this done once, and I'm not sure what booster was used but there was definitly a BIG disc brake m/c on it and the brace was notched a bit, I'm wondering IF one from a PDB Galaxie 7 liter would hook up to a Mustang booster and work? they look exactly like the Mustang m/c...I would do/try this on mine but only if there was no notching involved....

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
Any Concours unit would NOT be a Dual reservoir unit, and would be a single "fruitjar" type M/C. Unless You intend to trailer your car to concours events, I strongly advise against it.

MCA does not decuct points for newer '67 post type units for '64-'66 in certain judging classes for safety reasons. I also strongly suggest getting advice from the MCA judges on here on your best path to take if you are entering your car in a competetion.

Otherwise, I recommend buying and NPD Dual master/Booster combo from NPD. No notching of the shock tower is necessary. Check out their kits. You'll love them.

Avoid the deadly single "fruitjar" m/c at all costs if you can.

If you do switch over to a dual reservoir, You'll need to use a Post'67 Disc brake metering valve plumbed in as well. NPD also sells these as well.

·
Registered
942 Posts
With all the happy-go-lucky stuff we all did back in the day with old cars (including Mustangs) and never really paid attention to the brakes my group never had a m/c failure with a single unit-I know that today everyone says to upgrade to a dual m/c if you drive your car any at all and thats fine, but like I said back in the day when no one paid attention to brakes I never heard of a m/c failure-I guess I shouldn't say never too much-LOL!

·
Registered
767 Posts
It's not a MC failure that worries me. It's ANY brake leak, including a wheel cylinder leak, that can lead to a total loss of braking in the car.

How many wheel cylinder leaks have you heard of in your time? I wrench on my cars and only VERY occassionally on other people's cars and I've seen 4 or 5 in the last 15 years.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I have experianced many wheel cylinder leaks in my time but they seem to start seeping after a very long time and do not blow out all at once like many say the master cylinders do.

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
All you need is one good failure, and it will change your mind forever. The problem is there and it DOES exist. Whether you choose to ignore it and compromise the safety of you or your friends or family, That is up to you.

Why play with fire?

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
John, You got a bit of a Problem here.

No Way in Gods Green earth will you achieve a "Concourse Power Disc Brakes" for 65 66.

All, Every Disc Brake car was a Manual, No Booster Car.

So the Achievement of a Concourse "Power Disc Brake" car is not feasible.

You can install Power Disc Brakes, But it will not be a point car.

Dan

www.chockostangclassicmustang.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts