Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just agreed to purchase a 65 yesterday. The last 6 digits of the VIN are 761276. I didn't think production numbers went that high? Is there a problem here?

·
Premium Member
6,135 Posts
Just agreed to purchase a 65 yesterday. The last 6 digits of the VIN are 761276. I didn't think production numbers went that high? Is there a problem here?
No. The production #'s started at 100001. And because the '65 model year run started early in '64 there were gobs of 'em.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, 4ocious. When I looked up production numbers, the highest I saw was 559,451... So, when I take the starting number into consideration, the numbers still don't make sense to me. What am I missing? I have a feeling I'm going to feel like a real idiot when I realize what it is... LOL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, watto1!! I was thinking that, but wasn't finding the numbers for the earlys. Thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
6,135 Posts
Didn't other models (made on the same assembly line) use the same block of production numbers?
Yes. Each plant had their own total number of vehicles produced in any given year, so any Dearborn built vehicle (for instrance) with a 5F beginning VIN would be included in the production numbers. They weren't all mustangs. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
35,138 Posts
Didn't other models (made on the same assembly line) use the same block of production numbers? Or am I just making that up?
In the spring of '64, Ford produced both '65 Mustangs and '64 Fairlanes on the Dearborn assembly line, but I believe there was no serialized number conflict as the Mustangs were all "5Fxx", while the Fairlanes were "4Fxx".

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Hign VIN

My 65 K GT convert was a later 65- 5F08K768798. My 65 K GT F is also a later 65- 5F09K765816.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Thanks, 4ocious. When I looked up production numbers, the highest I saw was 559,451... So, when I take the starting number into consideration, the numbers still don't make sense to me. What am I missing? I have a feeling I'm going to feel like a real idiot when I realize what it is... LOL
When Ford switched to the '65 production in Aug '64, the VIN started at 250001 in Detroit, 125001 in San Jose, and 130001 in Metuchen (Feb '65 start). So a VIN starting with 8 from Detroit would be easy if that production number is correct.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts