Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read on-line (I forgot where) that one thing to watch out for when switching pedals around is that some master cylinders do not retain the pushrod internally and can fall out if your brake pedal travels to far away from the firewall/MC. ( I will be getting a brake kit from CSRP or Chock soon and do not know what MC issues I may have)

Anyway, here is my new assembly on the left and it looks like the brake does not have the same kind of stop that it did with the auto pedal setup?

Whats the deal here? I am getting ready to buy/install a mustang Steve bearing kit and cable quadrant and want to avoid redoing after the fact because I did not consider this difference?

The 4 speed pedal set is on the left, the original is on the right, do you see the difference in the pedal stop on the brake lever?

What to do?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Ive never seen a brake pedal stop like that one. Do I see some welding in there on the 4 speed brake pedal where the stop is?
If not you can get an adjustable brake MC pushrod to get the pedal in a position where it would be impossible for the rod to fall out. If the pedal ends up too high for you, you can trim the rod a bit.
I have an adjustable rod with no MC push rod retaining clip. I have the pedal adjusted so theres just a hair of clearance between the stop and the bracket (my stop is like your auto trans pedal stop). The only way the rod would come out is if I pulled up so hard on the brake pedal that I break the stop. Not likely.
Or you can keep your old auto brake pedal (if it has the right angle to clear the clutch pedal) and trim the metal foot-pad to fit the new smaller standard trans rubber pad. No one would know except you.

BTW I have the Chock kit and the dual MC rod that comes with the kit is clip retained. Furthermore, I believe Chock recommends using your original brake MC pushrod anyway.

Joe

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Ive never seen a brake pedal stop like that one. Do I see some welding in there on the 4 speed brake pedal where the stop is?
If not you can get an adjustable brake MC pushrod to get the pedal in a position where it would be impossible for the rod to fall out. If the pedal ends up too high for you, you can trim the rod a bit.
I have an adjustable rod with no MC push rod retaining clip. I have the pedal adjusted so theres just a hair of clearance between the stop and the bracket (my stop is like your auto trans pedal stop). The only way the rod would come out is if I pulled up so hard on the brake pedal that I break the stop. Not likely.
Or you can keep your old auto brake pedal (if it has the right angle to clear the clutch pedal) and trim the metal foot-pad to fit the new smaller standard trans rubber pad. No one would know except you.

BTW I have the Chock kit and the dual MC rod that comes with the kit is clip retained. Furthermore, I believe Chock recommends using your original brake MC pushrod anyway.

Joe

Joe,

I pointed out this exact same fact on the welded stop on another Forum. GOOD EYE JOE!

Yes, use the original push rod.

If your in the Buckeye Building at Columbus this weekend. Stop by,, I'll sell you a Quality Disc Setup at show prices!!

Dan @ Chockostang

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hey Chock, do you think swapping his original auto brake pedal over to the 4 speed pedals is an option? Will it be compatible with the 4 speed clutch pedal as far as the angle, etc?
Just seems to be an easy solution to his problem.

Joe

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the pedal is identical, I don't know why the stick shift assembly has no real stop on it, it looks like its never been cut on from what I can tell.

Anyway, I am just going to reuse my carrier and put the clutch pedal onto it etc..

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yes, the pedal is identical, I don't know why the stick shift assembly has no real stop on it, it looks like its never been cut on from what I can tell.

Anyway, I am just going to reuse my carrier and put the clutch pedal onto it etc..
Sounds good! Put up some pics when your done.

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts