Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I lost it and caused a seen at pep boys yesterday. As posted yesterday they gave me the wrong U-joints, big suprise right.
Anyway, I dove the 15 miles back to pep boys to exchange the joints for the right one's.
I was calm and relaxed and explained the problem and that this always happens. Asked them look up the right numbers in the books and they did so after rolling there eyes back. Aparently the right joint's are differnt from front to back and they only had the back one in stock. The guy said" check back in a week or so, we should have the front one in". )yeah.....right!
Anyway, I said I'll take the one and get the front from an other parts store. Well I didn't have the recepit since I was just going to exchange these parts. The cashier had to call the "manager" over, This is the same manager who said they don't have parts for a 65 mustang because there computers only go back to 68 and the guy who gave me the wrong joints in the first place, he said "I can't except them back without a recepit". Even though I had bought them from HIM a few hours earlier.
Well, at that point I flew off the handle, expressing the fact that he and his store was a joke in the auto parts business. Well I added a few 4 letter words to that.
I understand that a recepit is nesssasary in retail but normally they don't ask when you exchange plus I'm in there everyother day and have spent thousands of dollars there. Again this "manager" is the Idiot who gave me the wrong parts in the first place.
I left with my wrong parts and had to restrain myself from throwing them through the windows.
Like I said before I only go there after hours or on weekends because "my" regular Good parts store is only open bankers hours. I will Never go to pep boys again. Live and learn!!!

[color:green]Adam</font color=green>

http://www.npdlink.com/members/thumbnails/180.jpg http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1590185&a=12106882&p=46430162&Sequence=0&res=high.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Like the other poster said talk to the regional mgr and make this situation right. If this really is your last time in there you might as well get your money back and be somewhat even rather than always be pissed as you drive by there. This is what I am talking about with our last post it is not a matter of them simply giving you a wrong part but all of this other crap like saying that they don't have parts for cars older that 68 (for ford at least) and also buying something and trying to bring it back but can't because of no reciept (even though it was the same person) they can look this stuff up in their system, I know this for a fact.
Try not to screach at the RM if you talk to him.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Vote with your feet. Find the receipt, walk in and get your money back, and never darken their door again. If it meens that much to you, write a letter to the regional guy calmly aprising him of the situation--just the facts , no BS.

If you ever go into Pep Boys again, I imagine the manager will be gone or a hellofalot nicer. Then again, he may invite you around back for some special service.

Parts stores are a dime-a-dozen--shop elsewhere.

J. Boggs

G

·
0 Posts
They gave me the computer only goes back to 68 stuff too and I've avoided them if possible since then. Everyone else looks it up in a book. It just seemed like they didn't want my business all that much.

http://www.hurtle.com/cars/mustang/sig.gif
Please contribute to my Reproduction Parts Rating Site

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
When I first got the 66 coupe I was working in Georgia and the coupe was a daily driver. As I was driving past a Pep Boys it just died. We pushed it over and they took a look at it in the service bay. They figured out that it was a plugged fuel filter.

They went and got one for a Ford and guess what? It didn't fit. The fuel filters for a 66 are a different size. They could have one for me in a week or so. Well they blew the rust out of the old one out for me with an air hose.

The charge for replacing the fuel filter they didn't replace? $55.00 Are you guys for real??? They would not let me leave unless I paid. I had to get out of there so I paid them. I called the headquarters the next morning to complain and they could not have cared less.

While I was waiting there some college girls car just died while they were driving down the expressway. The cure??? A full valve job!!!!

Anyway I have never been back to a Pep Boys. When they got to Illinois a few years ago, I have still never gone back in one of thier stores.

Gene J

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1584519&a=12110688&p=43875040&Sequence=1&res=high.jpg
66 Coupe/66 Convert/84 GT Turbo/96 coupe

Gene's cars

·
Registered
330 Posts
That is why they will always be Pep-"BOYS" and never Pep MEN!!!
They really are bad in my area too, all I buy there is waxes,and so on.
All my "real" parts I go to Napa or KOI auto parts.
Just my .02

1965 Mustang coupe
1961 Thunderbird
1983 Monte Carlo Conv.
Yeah, thats right...Convertible!!! With flamethrowers!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Almost 10 years ago, when my wife and I were first moving down here, the brakes on the Accord starting tearing up. Because we were down here in Tennessee looking at houses and were going to be heading back north, we got them done at Midas just in case we had any problems later. Well, sure enough, by the time we got back home, they were tearing up again.

We made an appointment at the local Midas and brought the car down. They looked at it and said that there were some parts the other place should have replaced, now the new parts they had put on were tore up and they wouldn't honor any warranty. The manager specifically told me "All of these stores are independently owned, so we don't have to honor that warranty". I told him what the hell is the point of going to a chain, then? And got the name of the regional manager.

When I got home I called the regional manager and explained the situation. Not 10 minutes later, the local place called up, told us to bring the car down at our earliest convenience and the entire job would be redone free of charge.

Visit my repair page for Repair info, with pictures! http://home.dencity.com/mustangcub

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to hear they fixed it but it should have been done in the first place, What ever happened to service!!!!!!!

[color:green]Adam</font color=green>

http://www.npdlink.com/members/thumbnails/180.jpg http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1590185&a=12106882&p=46430162&Sequence=0&res=high.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
The Pep Boys close to me closed about 3 months ago. They had only been open about 4 months. They have a bad rep all over and its well deserved.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Service. Is when they correct a problem to the customers satisfaction. In the airline industry we called it "recovery" and that is what keeps a customer coming back. I've also had problems with PEP BOYS. I've been going to them for 30 years and they've gotten worse in theirs parts quality. Can you say "China"? When I have a problem I make sure they now how long I've been going there. I worked there during christmas once assembly bicycles.
I also have had problems without my receipt. You should see their faces when I come in to replace "lifetime warranty" parts 5-10 years later. Receipt? You mean this? I have a folder of car receipts for that reason. One of those bastards made a pass at my girlfriend. I called headquarters to complain and no one ever called back. I decided not to stress it as the guy was a loser anyway and my girlfriend hates auto parts stores.

G

·
0 Posts
receipts kind of suck i can never keep track of them! i always go to discount auto parts and they have the right parts for me the next day or so!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts