Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously looking for an aftermarket unit for the 65 stang.

I have looked into Vintage Air and Classic Auto Air, and I like the Perfect Fit system from Classic. It comes in a R12 and a 134a version.

They cost about the same, but the guys at Classic were the nicest and most knowledgeable on the phone.

Has anyone installed one of these systems and how well do they work. He said it is almost overkill for the Mustang?
Claiming the product works really well and is easy to install.

What are the differences between the R12 and 134a?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I got a friend who installed one of those from Vintage Air and he's very pleased, he says it works very good., The diference between the refrigerants is that Rl2 is more expensive and very hard to find. Good luck. Valdy 67 V8 coupe.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I have a Vintage Air unit here in Arizona. It is not a overkill with temps over 100 for 4 months and over 110 for many of those days. The 134 is the way to go. R12 is getting close to $60 for a 12 oz. can at some AC repair shops. My 134 seems to work just fine Gary

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I've been planning on one of these "in-dash" systems myself for some time now. The first place I spoke with was an a/c specialty shop here in my town that apparently a lot of the rodders and customs go to. I don't know this guy from Adam, but he is supposed to know all there is to know about retrofit a/c units. He told me that he wouldn't touch a Vintage Air unit with a 10 foot pole! I asked him his reasons, and he hem-hawed around saying something about them not fitting very well.

I don't know if perhaps he just has a personal grudge against Vintage Air or what, but it was enough to make me go with Custom when the time comes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The unit I am looking at is not Vintage Air.

It is made by classic auto air. I called Vintage Air and they were not the nicest people to talk to on the phone. I am leaning towards the Perfect Fit unit. It is a newer design and requires NO CUTTING on the Mustang.

I will keep you posted on how it goes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jimbo,
PLEASE! Keep me informed. I'm going to be buying a system in the next year or so too. I have a friend that is into the street rod scene. he too didn't care too much for Vintage. He had heard that some used parts go into their systems. Since Classic has come out with one that doesn't require removal of the glove box or cutting up the car, I might go with them too.
BUT... My brother had problems with a Classic update system for his '70 Mach. Wrong directions, missing parts and system leaked down after setting for almost a year. Mechanic checked for leaks and found none. Classic said that the 134a systems will leak inside the compressor if left setting too long. Must be true, a guy at work has a 2000 F-150 that he rarely drives, and his leaks down too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.