Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can purchase a good performance dual exhaust system, either in 2.5" or 3" for my 68 Fastback 302? All I have been able to find is the 2" and 2 1/4" systems and I really wanted something larger. email me at [email protected] if you know where I can find a good system.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,989 Posts
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=23469,650,505,FLO17273

This is the Flowmaster 2.5" system, $320 from Summit. All mandrel bent h-pipe and tailpipes, with 40 series 2-chamber mufflers. If they are too loud for you, get the kit and sell the mufflers off, because they don't sell the h-pipe seperately! No one can fab a system that is better than this for the price. No crimps, and it has all the hangers and clamps included! Oh, and it fits nice too!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
In most applications, a dual exhaust system bigger than 2.25" is overkill, and in most Mutang applications it's down right a waste of money.

The muffler shop that fabricated the exhaust for my '66 and son's '65 recommended staying at 2.25". The reason being is that it's extremely difficult to mandrel bend anything larger over the rear axle. So if the exhuast is "crimpped" down to 2.25" anyway, what's the point of having it 2.5 or 3", the rest of the time?

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Red,

We got a 2.75" Flowmaster american thunder set up for my son's 66 289. All the pieces are put together right including the little things-GT style hangers and such. Paid about $300. The Delta forties are a bit loud but driveable. Be sure to spec your order for either cast manifolds or headers. We had the complete system ceramic coated and then discovered the h-pipe was too narrow at the header to h-pipe connection. Just right for a cast set up though...???!

Good luck,

Pat

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Here is a link to the table of sound readings from the Nor Cal Shelby Club website. Notice several folks are running 2 1/2" exhaust behind 12:1 stroker motors with 110+ octane avaition fuel.

Are you sure you want 3"?? You're going to have a difficult time routing it next to the driveshaft and over the rear axle. It has obviously been done, but it will not net you any horespower over a 2 1/2" system.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I installed the 2 1/2" Flowmaster "American Thunder" system ($320) on the 66 Fastback. This was connected to Hooker Competition headers with a couple of short-length adapter pipes bent by a local muffler shop for $25. It would have been better if Flowmaster would market adapters or make the H-pipe fit popular headers as an option.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts