Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious, is the overall height of the carburetor mounting pad on a Edelbrock Performer 289 the same height and/or higher than a stock 289 4V intake with the PCV Carb spacer installed?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I don't have a factory manifold to measure, but I believe they are virtually the same. I run a Performer 289 with a 1/2" phenolic spacer which I believe would be comparable in height to the 289 4V intake with PCV spacer.

Reactions: dm289

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A little research answered my question. The top surface of the intake at the thermostat housing would be consistent among stock and aftermarket.

The mating surface for the 1" factory spacer appears about even to the height of the thermostat housing:
s-l1600 (14).jpg

On the Performer, the carb mounting surface appears to be about 1 inch above the thermostat housing.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Your pic of the stock manifold is at an angle. The mount8ng surface is 1/2 - 1 inch above the thermostat housing. If you remind me t9morrow I can take a pic of the performer side by side with a stock 2V manifold which is essentially the same height as the 4V.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your pic of the stock manifold is at an angle. The mount8ng surface is 1/2 - 1 inch above the thermostat housing. If you remind me t9morrow I can take a pic of the performer side by side with a stock 2V manifold which is essentially the same height as the 4V.
Thank you for the offer...

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Ok here is the pic

The cast iron 2V is on the left! Te Performer on the right.
The Performer is 1/2” higher, but it also sits 1/4” lower, so the total difference is 3/4”. A 4V manifold would have a wider mounting area and would therefore raise a bit higher than the 2V, maybe gaining back that 1/4”. So I think we can reasonably say the Performer 289 is approximately 1/2” taller than the stock manifolds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts