Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could i use the performer intakes 302 or 289 with a 4v carb on my stock 302cid with the stock 2v heads. if so what if any would be the dissadvantages on doing this thanks

·
Registered
560 Posts
Yes, I just bought one the other day but haven't installed it yet. The disadvantage would be the lack of horsepower that you would gain with the original heads if you went to the 4v. MM did an article about adding the intake back in Dec. or Jan. but I believe it was an original 4v car. Does your car have a dual exhaust system? If not I would do that first.

Dave
Reading PA
66 Signal Flare Red Vert
302 2V, 15X7 Cragar SS's with 205/60s

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I may be mistaken, but there aren't different 2V and 4V heads for the 302. The heads are all the same with the exception of different sized combustion chambers year to year. I agree with doing the dual exhaust. I've got duals, full tube headers, a Performer 289 manifold and a Holley 4V on mine and it makes a big difference. The gears didn't hurt either.

RagTop
69 Meadowlark Yellow 302 4V convertible, C4, 3.55 gears.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by RagTop on 03/16/01 07:32 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i been wanting to keep the 2v heads because i herd i would get better throtle responce.but being stock i dont know if im waisting my time and money on keeping them as is

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
As I understnad it the heads are the same. They are different between 2v and 4v on the Cleveland engines but not the Windsors. You will notice a little gain with the Performer manifold and a 4v carb (I recommend Edelbrocks). But uncorking the exhaust together with new induction will yield noticable changes. You can then spend another $25.00 to recurve the distributor to get the ignition right and you will have a quicker car. Next, rear gears. But the answer to your question from my perspective to to go for it. But before you do, try to envision how you want the car to be when you are through so you don't have to do the same job twice. What comes to mind is someone spending money on a dual exhaust only to relaize that they wanted a larger pipe size.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts