Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like I may be buying a new intake/carb for my 289 soon. I have decided on the Edelbrock 1405, I know it is a tad bit big for a 289 but I can deal with it. The question I have is regarding intake manifold selection.

I have it narrowed down to either the performer or the performer rpm. The rpm model looks to be a little bit higher, and the advertised power band is about 1k rpm higher that the lower version. I wondered what the difference is in seat of the pant feel and real driving situations. I rarely wind the car up past about 5 grand anyway (especially with the 2bbl), but would the higher manifold feel different at lower rpms? I don't think hood clearance is an issue with either manifold.

I am most interested in off idle to about 4000 rpm torque and I don't expect I will ever see any race duty (except for dusting ricers at stop lights LOL, I already do that though).

BTW the engine is bone stock with the exception of a edelbrock performer plus cam and headers.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

G

·
0 Posts
The RPM allows the power band of the engine to be shifted up and will only be beneficial if used with like sized components - heads & camshaft. If you primarily use the engine in the lower rpm range <5K then stick with the Performer thats what it is designed for. You will have better driveability and better response (higher intake charge velocity).

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
If torque is what you are looking for in a near stock engine go for the Performer. The RPM would like a bigger cam, lower (higher numerically)gears for the rear end and either an manual transmission or a higher stall converter.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I agree with all of the above for a Performer manifold. However, do experiment with carbureator spacers, 1/2" or 1" or 1 1/2" to help tune your system for best results. The Performer RPM struck me as "taint"!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
what they said!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts