Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I finally got my 600 holley and a performer manifold for my car! I had a question about gaskets. Should I just go to NAPA and get a stock gasket for a 2V manifold( the one that goes block to manifold, not carb base)?? Will that work? Or should I buy the gasket for the 4v heads?? Or do I have to get something special. Also, should I use a 1 inch spacer? Would I have to put a gasket on the bottom and top of spacer? sorry for the dumb questions. Thanks.

p.s. Somebody give me an idea for a cam. 218 and 228 sound good for low and mid range? Or would I get better performance with a stock cam for this clev 2v??

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
I assume you are going to run a 4V carb..use a 4V gasket they are universal and should work.if you use a spacer you will need gaskets top and bottom..again for a 4V..the heads have nothing to do with it..I like a stock cam on a 2V cleve..or just go to a slightl;y warmed up cam..the 2V cleve makes lots of low end torque..a wild cam will wipe that out.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks teebone, im about to order 268H cam too. Wish me luck, gonna need it..

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
OMFG, what a dumb question!!!! hehehe...J/K

the intake to cylinder head gasket should always be the "turkey pan"...it keeps hot oil off the intake....you need a turkey pan for 2V heads (NOT the 4V....you need to match the size of the ports).

Youll have to try the spacer to see....youre probably better off not using a spacer and using the tallest K&N filter you can fit under the hood.

I'm about to assemble a fresh 351C......I intend to use a crane cam with 218 net intake duration and 228 exhaust....I expect it to be VERY tractable and make nice power.....nice thing about clevelands is the ones Ive built the heads could handle decent lift......I ran a cam with .530" valve lift and 230 intake duration with no valvetrain binding...and it ran HARD!!

I'm also putting a special set of motorsport aluminum roller rockers on it that dont require cylinder head machine work for studs .....down the road you may want to use them (or a stud type set of rockers and the crane pedestal conversion kit).....the stock rockers create a LOT of friction

I personally wouldnt cam up an engine with miles on it unless it displays ZERO indications of high mileage (i.e. tapping on startup or when warm, piston slap noise, connecting rod tap, blue smoke under any throttle condition, etc.)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OMFG, what a dumb question!!!! hehehe...J/K

I have MANY more of these to come!!

I have a little bit of lifter tap, but I havnt came across a ford that doesnt. But it goes away when warm. I assume it has to do with having no oil on a cold startup?? The engine only has 6k on it. Last dumb question in this thread....
When I replace cam can I get away with out having to change ALL the gaskets(pan,waterpump,thermo, etc, etc, etc)?? They where all replaced 6k miles ago, and I dont want to buy them again. Can I get away with not changing them?? I hear people with their " oh, just change all the gaskets just to be sure", blah, blah woof woof. I can't afford to do it. sooo.....

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
not really....you'll end up disassembling almost every gasket surface on the engine.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts