Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend I attempted to button up the I6 200 in the 65 FB. It was time for the oil pan installation which, from what I read here, involves some ackward installation of the oil pan gasket. After discovering the gasket I was sold a year ago was actually for a 390 (proving once again that Autozone counter help has no clue), I acquired the correct gasket and at about 11 p.m. went to install it in the 46 degree garage.

Having cleaned a bunch of RTV crumbles out of the oil pickup filter, I chose Permatex form-a-gasket rather than RTV to hold the gaskets in place and to seal the corners where the rubber gaskets at the front and rear meet the cork. This stuff is great. It stayed pliable so that the gasket could be slid to line up the bolt holes, and also had enough strength to hold the gaskets in place on the block, before the pan was installed. Oh yeah, I discovered that the pan should be installed BEFORE the balancer, unless you pull the crossmember (which I ended up doing).

Now that I have oil in the engine I will spin the oil pump with a drill motor and try to pump up a couple of lifters which seem to be collapsed. Once that is done, I can adjust the valves, and the engine is done. I am going to paint the engine compartment Guardsman Blue before adding the starter and headers. I put about a half a container of blue pearl in 1.75 gallons of paint, so it ought to be an interesting color in the sunlight. Having seen what the ice pearls do in the sunlight, when added to clearcoat (remember my 70?), I am NOT going that route! This paint job will be subtle, although I do have some silver running pony decals (13x34 inches)laying around. . . . LOL

I learned that my next door neighbor's construction company (well, he works there, not owns it) has bake ovens for cleaning engine blocks and also has sandblasting facilities. I hope to sandblast the fenders, doors, hood and trunk, basically whatever I can get off the car. Meanwhile, the engine looks great. I'll get some photos together in the next week or so. The block and head are gloss black with new brass freeze plugs. the valve cover and air cleaner housing are Ford red-orange. All the hardware is either ARP or stainless steel. Even polished the dizzy housing and vacuum advance cannister. I have some AN line laying around, including two hoses for the radiator. Hope to use them. It's getting closer.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've had good results with Form a Gasket 2 also. As for Auto Zone, i buy a lot of stuff there. I use their website to look up the parts # before i go to defend against their inept counterpersons. Some of them are okay, but the last time i went there the person was trying to wait on me while on the phone. When i said i'll wait until you're done their reply was "i'm multitasking". Okay as long as i leave here with the right parts.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I got introduced to Permatex at a very young age by my Grandfather. They make a lot of good sealant/gasket items.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
DO not use sand on the sheet metal! YOu will warp it!!! You even have to be carful using plastic media also.

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts