Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
20,543 Posts
The basic Petronix is really not much more then a electronic switch. The 12v to it is more for reliable operation. If it runs fine on the 6-8 volts off the resistor wire fine. Not advise but me personally I'd leave it. When you have a given resistance and you double the voltage it doesn't double the wattage, it quadruples it. Wattage=heat, that means the unit has to deal with 4 times the heat and heat kills electronics. Running a full 12 volts vs 6-8 volts to the Petronix is not going to have a effect on coil performance.

Same goes for a ignition coil. Since the coil does not operate on a steady 12 volts, it operates on a pulsing 12 volts which has very similar characteristics as alternating current. You're no longer using the term "resistance" but instead "impeadence". A magnetic force is now part of the equation. As this frequency changes so does the impeadence. The faster the frequency, the more impeadence to the point where it will stop working. The coil also has a saturation point where more voltage to the primary is not going to increase the spark voltage to the plug. Speaking of spark, when you produce a spark to the plugs, you're also producing a spark to what ever the primary side of the coil. That's why points have a capacitor, aka "condenser" to absorb and transmit the spark to ground.

I've run points for a very long time, not just in my Mustang. I've run Petronix, I've had them fail right in my driveway after installing it. Since last summer I'm running a junkyard Duraspark. My Mustang starts a lot faster, idles and drives smoother. I'm sold.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
The basic Petronix is really not much more then a electronic switch. The 12v to it is more for reliable operation. If it runs fine on the 6-8 volts off the resistor wire fine. Not advise but me personally I'd leave it. When you have a given resistance and you double the voltage it doesn't double the wattage, it quadruples it. Wattage=heat, that means the unit has to deal with 4 times the heat and heat kills electronics. Running a full 12 volts vs 6-8 volts to the Petronix is not going to have a effect on coil performance.

Same goes for a ignition coil. Since the coil does not operate on a steady 12 volts, it operates on a pulsing 12 volts which has very similar characteristics as alternating current. You're no longer using the term "resistance" but instead "impeadence". A magnetic force is now part of the equation. As this frequency changes so does the impeadence. The faster the frequency, the more impeadence to the point where it will stop working. The coil also has a saturation point where more voltage to the primary is not going to increase the spark voltage to the plug. Speaking of spark, when you produce a spark to the plugs, you're also producing a spark to what ever the primary side of the coil. That's why points have a capacitor, aka "condenser" to absorb and transmit the spark to ground.

I've run points for a very long time, not just in my Mustang. I've run Petronix, I've had them fail right in my driveway after installing it. Since last summer I'm running a junkyard Duraspark. My Mustang starts a lot faster, idles and drives smoother. I'm sold.
Thanks for the info.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts