Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious about which coil you're using with the Pertronix. My Mallory Unilite keeled over recently so I bought a Pertronix instead. Currently have a Mallory coil which measures 0.8 ohms on primary side, which is too low for the Pertronix (they say 1.5 ohms min). I'll use a ballast resistor, or the original resistor wire to add the required resistance, plus I stil have my stock coil if need be. I know the issue of the unit needing 12v and such, just curious if others have used performance coils with a lower primary resistance.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
I have my stock yellow top, running with no problems. If you want a hotter coil, consider Pertronix's Flamethrower.

Steve

G

·
0 Posts
I use Flamethrower. My ignition wire has no resistor in it as I get 12 volts at the coil. I can't really comment about the improved performance for 2 reasons. I have an I6 and I replaced the point with Pertronix at the same time. The combination of both have made the car run much smoother and I was able to open up the gap some on the plugs.

Slade

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I have a Flamethrower on the 65. I had a stock yellow top repro and it overheated in a parade. Went back to the Flamethrower.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I replaced my 34 year old yellow top for a flamethrower 2 years ago and noticed no difference at all !
Maybe I was expecting the same improvement that I had with the ignitor installation ?!?

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
I was running my MSD MB2, 0.7 ohms primary. Sounds very similar to your Mallory. This coil has roasted TWO pertronix units. The original ignitor, and now, an ignitor 2.

The original was my fault because I didn't realize that you had to keep the current down (hence the 1.5 ohms min). I bought the Ignitor 2 because they said "yeah, no problem, it can handle it", but I killed it about 2 months later. When I get my unit warrantied, I'm going to run a ballast resistor in line with the coil, but make sure to power the Ignitor off the 12V side of the resistor.

Of course, the ballast resistor kind of defeats the purpose of using a coil with low primary resistance in the first place (that whole conservation of energy thing). SO, I may have to look for a new coil.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for your input! I called around and found a Flamethrower locally for only 30 bucks, so I'll go that route and bypass the resistor wire. Never much liked that thing anyway.

Hey AXNJXN. I measured an old Accel super coil (huge yellow thing) I had sitting around, and it's 0.8 ohms too. Seems as though the Pertronix folks want you to use their coil, since the ignitor is essentially incompatible with many high perf coils. Also, the Mallory Unilite can seemingly handle twice the current of the Pertronix too, since it had worked for years with the 0.8 ohm Mallory coil which was meant for it. The Unilite died due to a stuck starter solenoid applying 12v to the coil instead of 6 from the resistor wire. The Unilite doesn't want 12v.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts