Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinking about upgrading my ignition system and have heard good things about pertronix and crane igntions but did a search and found that alot of people change to a duraspark?
what i basically am looking for is a good (easy) performance upgrade.
i should mention that i am adding mild upgrades like intake,cam,exhaust.
any advice/comments on this upgradeds would be helpful.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Well, I have the Pertronix Ignitor I on Shari, and I love it. There's currently a Duraspark on the Cat and it's sufficient, but it's not stock looking enough for me, so I'm going to a Crane XR-i pretty soon.

I'd do the Ignitor or Crane. The neat thing about the XR-i is that it has a built in rev limiter, and it's actually a few bucks less than the Ignitor.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
I say get a duraspark distributor, and wire up an MSD 6 series box to it... the 6A is about 140.00, and the 6AL runs about 190... the only advantage of the AL to the regular 6 series is, it has a built in adjustible rev limiter. This is the set up I am running, and Im very happy with it.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Another vote for Pertronix here. When I added mine, I was still a purist... I painted the top of the Flamethrower coil yellow, and no-one ever knew the difference!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
the only advantage of the AL to the regular 6 series is, it has a built in adjustible rev limiter
Not exactly. The AL can have addtional modules added to it that you can't add to the regular 6. Most of the modules, however, are WAY overkill for most of us.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Unless you are planning to race, an MSD is probably over kill. The regular Pertronix is an easy and affordable / proven upgrade. After converting from an auto to manual, I considered going with the Crane unit, because of the built-in rev limiter. But, since hardly anyone has gone this route, I didn't want to be the guy stuck on the side of the road. So, instead I purchased a separate Pertronix rev limiter. It went on easily and was easy to hide.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I've ran the mallory unilite conversion and both pertronix's with good luck. My friends are running the crane unit and love them so far. The rev limiter seems to work great. If stock the stock look didn't matter I'd consider the dura spark.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I am running a stock duraspark set up in my car and I did in my last car. I went to Autozone and bought a remanufactured dizzy for $50 for a 85 GT mustang. This had the steel gear on it for my 94 motor. If you break down then you can go buy the stock parts any where.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have used both the Duraspark and Pertronix.. And next will be an MSD setup, I like the Pertronix better than the duraspark just cuz it was soo easy and quick to set up, The duraspark was easy to do as well, but back when I did it I had to figure out the wireing myself, no-one had published anything befor.. now its all over.. If you understand the wireing its easy, but it doesn't look stock, or have that performance look of an MSD unit..

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the all the input. i think i'll try the duraspark. seems like the best choice.
now i've got to find everything(and how to do it).
thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts