Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did some reading on this forum dating back to 03 regarding this swap/upgrade from points to the Pertronix unit and coil.
i upgraded to the Flamethrower 1.5 coil to complement the ignitor this week for my 67, 302.

i spliced into the green/red wire at the back of the ignition switch and ran a 14 gauge wire directly to the positive coil terminal. i left the pink wire intact at the ignition switch and disconnected the original wire that ran to the positive coil terminal at the 3-prong connector at the engine side of firewall.
the engine turns over, but will not fire.

where did i go wrong?

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Mine runs exactly the same on either resisted or full voltage. Try it on the original resisted wire.

Reactions: Blues Power

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
I ran a P1 and FT coil for over 20 yrs right off the stock resistor wire with no issues. try it

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ran a P1 and FT coil for over 20 yrs right off the stock resistor wire with no issues. try it
i was only getting 5.8 volts from the stock wiring set up. adding a flamethrower coil would not be getting any benefit.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
I think I have your answer, at least this is how it works on my 69. When cranking, you need the power from the I terminal of the starter relay to supply voltage to the coil as the original Pink(resistor) wire from the ignition switch shuts down with the key in the start position. Once the engine fires and you let the key go back to Run (from start) the I turns off and the pink wire goes hot. So Where you are bypassing the pink (resistor) wire, you need to find the junction where the I wire joins and make sure that is also giving power to your coil wire. I have a wiring diagram for 69-70, not sure if it is the same for 67.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
found my problem, splice wasnt "fully engaged". in run, i get 11.7 volts. she fired right up (and chugged a bit from all the gas that had been pumping). thanks for the quick replys!

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
My splices always involve solder if it's not a factory type connecter. I would never trust a crimp connecter to get me down the road!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My splices always involve solder if it's not a factory type connecter. I would never trust a crimp connecter to get me down the road!
i hear ya. i'll be sure to add some 14 gauge wire to my toolbox. all it needs to do is reach the battery post.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts