Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a Pertronix Ignitor ignition this morning, along with its companion Flame Thrower coil and Flame Thrower 7ml plug wires (on my 1966 289). Everything went fine. The installation really was as easy as they claim. She fired right up, but had a slight shudder at idle. A drive around the block was even worse. Sounds and feels like one of the plugs is unhooked (and yes, I double checked all of them). I assumed it was the timing; but after several adjustments, I decided that's not the problem.

The FAQs included on the instructions says a voltage problem is very common (with the Pertronix installations), and suggests running a jumper-wire directly from the positive side of the battery to the red Pertronix distributor wire. If this smooths things out, then voltage it is. I made the hook up but couldn't tell much of a difference at all. It still has the same shudder. It's actually bad enough that I don't want to risk limping to a mechanic.

Anyone else had this problem? Got any suggestions? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Dan66
66 Fastback, 289, Tahoe Turquoise,
Turq/White Pony, GT trim, 2nd owner

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Its always possible (probable in some cases) to get the plug wires wrong (firing order mixed up/ bad wire, etc.) when replacing them. The plugs don't always show up wet/fouled if they are wired wrong, but should show wet/fouled if one of the wires is not delivering any spark at all. Can you put your points back in with the new wires and see if runs ok? If so, then something may be screwed up in the Petronix setup, otherwise, its in the wiring. Also, is the cap in good condition? A marginal cap may experiencing crossfire with the high output ignition.

66 Fastback
85 GT Hatchback
67 Coupe
82 GT Hatchback

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have to agree with the possibility of plug wires being misplaced. I know, I know, you checked 10 times but trust me, I have found my mistakes a couple of times while I was checking the sequence for the 20th time!! I have the same year, motor, etc., and it works great. I used the pos. side of the coil for the voltage pickup and have had no problems, even with the 1 ohm resistor in that circuit. If I remember correctly, I have about 10 volts at the coil on the pos. side. Take a break and re-check your wiring. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. The only reason I'm doubting incorrect plug wire setup is because I changed the wires one at a time. And very slowly, at that. I don't see how I could have possibly made a mistake (famous last words!).

But just to be sure, where can I find a diagram of the correct wiring setup? What's the magic formula?

Dan66

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I referred to my trusty 66 Shop manual (after asking that last question), and all eight plug wires are in the proper location.

Dan66

G

·
0 Posts
I had the same problem on my first installation of a Pertronix
Ignition. I had re-checked all my connections for continuity
and the gap between the magnet and the sensor. Everything
was according to the instructions. Then I removed the rotating
magnet and turn it to the next position along the distributor
and after 3 attempts it was working perfectly. I can't explain it, but it has worked perfectly ever since.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
try putting your old wires back on, then your coil, then your points until problem goes away - it almost certainly one of new parts - lrt us know so others can use info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts