Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, have searched High and low on the internet for info on compatibility of the Pertronix Ignitor III ignition and MSD 6 analog box. I want to know if it will work properly with The 45,000 volt Flamerhrower III coil and the Pertronix Stage III ignition module, before I spend bunch of money to find out myself.. Thanks for the input..

·
Registered
35,950 Posts
Ok guys, have searched High and low on the internet for info on compatibility of the Pertronix Ignitor III ignition and MSD 6 analog box. I want to know if it will work properly with The 45,000 volt Flamerhrower III coil and the Pertronix Stage III ignition module, before I spend bunch of money to find out myself.. Thanks for the input..
No. The Ignitor III and MSD6 are NOT compatible with each other.

Question: What feature(s) of the above parts do you find necessary for your application?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Question: What feature(s) of the above parts do you find necessary for your application?
[/QUOTE]
Ditto on this....My buddy with a 66 convt went thru this last year....street driven, cruising only and he installed pertronix, msd coil, msd controller. To date, first controller went, blew the pertronix. Second controller was dead out of the box....we finally talked him out of using the controller. A months later the coil went, thinking it was damaged when the controller went. Last weekend, his car started acting weird...engine running real rough...backfired so bad it actually blew up one of the mufflers. Turns out his msd coil had opened up.
So...do you really need this..?
DF65CE28-BA16-40DB-9FAA-07FFF2A0AEB4.jpeg

·
Registered
333 Posts
A lot of times these failures are related to wiring in the MSD with a vintage car and/or mismatched parts.

As far as whether you need one it depends on your engine combination. I ran a Pertronix I with a hotter coil for years and routinely was able to rev to 7000 rpms with no issues. When I freshened the engine and added a point of compression and a ton cylinder pressure I had constant spark breakup around 6000 rpms. I added a CD box and a stock ford TFI coil and I now can rev to 7000 again.
If you are running a stock cam or less than 10:1 compression you can probably get by without a CD box.

·
Registered
35,950 Posts
A lot of times these failures are related to wiring in the MSD with a vintage car and/or mismatched parts.

As far as whether you need one it depends on your engine combination. I ran a Pertronix I with a hotter coil for years and routinely was able to rev to 7000 rpms with no issues. When I freshened the engine and added a point of compression and a ton cylinder pressure I had constant spark breakup around 6000 rpms. I added a CD box and a stock ford TFI coil and I now can rev to 7000 again.
If you are running a stock cam or less than 10:1 compression you can probably get by without a CD box.
Damn! I wonder how Carroll Shelby got his GT350R's to run without a CD box.......

·
Registered
544 Posts
Did you check their website?

Ignitor III

Ignitor III

Our Ignitor III ignition module is designed for the serious performance enthusiast who demands serious power. You have seen the performance increases the Ignitor and Ignitor II series of electronic ignitions have brought. Now get ready for more... 5 times more spark energy than a typical points system. Ignitor III modules provide ignition box performance... without the "box"! For the maximum Ignitor III benefit, select one of our Flame-Thrower III or HC ignition coils from the coil section of this website.

Features
  • Multiple sparks thru the entire RPM range.
  • Integrated digital REV limiter with LED feedback for precise RPM setting.
  • Memory safe function stores settings eliminating unintended changes to Rev limit.
  • Adaptive dwell maintains peak energy throughout the entire RPM range, reducing misfires while improving engine performance.
  • Senses startup and increases energy for quicker, easier starting.
  • Thermal clad surface mount construction for superior reliability.
  • Built-in reverse polarity and over current protection shuts down the system, preventing component damage.
  • Not compatible with CD or Multi-Spark boxes.
  • Legal in all 50 states and Canada. (C.A.R.B. E.O. #D-57-22)
  • Guaranteed for 30 months... We Stand Behind It!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Damn! I wonder how Carroll Shelby got his GT350R's to run without a CD box.......
Heads and intake that only flowed about 220 cfm and 60s camshaft technology.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts