Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '65 289 2V I am wondering if installing a Pertronix Ignitor and Coil is a good idea? Any one out there have any experience with these? Any thoughts or recomendations are welcome.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Go for it. I don't have the petronix, but am running electronic ignition. You'll hear nothing but praise for the unit here on the forum. Once you get it installed, no more point to worry about. From what I've heard, the installation is easy.

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 coupe 302
66 fastback 351W

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'd say do it.

I had it put on my 66 289. I had the shop put in/on the Ignition, Coil, and 8mm Plug Wires. The dyno results jumped up, but they chanaged the carb too, so I dont know how much exactly the pertronix was responsible for.

The car did run much 'nicer' though afterwards.

Tom

Chek out my website to see the diff between dyno runs, more to follow

http://members.home.net/tomtalford

66 Coupe:
302, AFR heads, Tremec 5 speed, Performer RPM, MSD Ignition, 9" w/ 3.70 gears, 4 wheel disc, subframe connectors, etc

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Short answer is yes....for a more detailed treatese, type in "pertronix" into the VMF search engine and peruse the results...

Welcome to the VMF!

Please post some info about your car and/or engine in your signature area or bio area of your profile so we can give reasoned (note I didn't say intelligent *G*) responses to your questions...

If you have a stocker, the main thing you'll likely notice is quicker starting when cold and a smoother idle after installing the Pertronix...performance? Don't look for your head to go into the back seat...it's not that big a deal....
Wait for the manifold, carb and exhaust stuff...that's when the Pertronix hauls its bacon..*G*...and your head...

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i put a pertronix ingition on my car and it works great. it was very easy to install and worth the money. i dont have the coil yet although i will probaly get it eventually. but mine is fine for now.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Easy call ====> install it!!

No more points to adjust or replace. That selss itself. It's a breeze to install. A goodly portion of the people on this forum have done this particular mod.

Thanks,

Mike
'66 Springtime Yellow Coupe
289, slightly warmed over
driven daily

·
Registered
655 Posts
Go for it. I've put them in two cars and noticed the cars fire up right away. Don't expect a performance gain, just a sure fire way of getting the car started.

69 Fastback <== Still Not Complete After 4 Years
66 Fastback 6cyl, 3 speed <== Collecting Parts for a 5.0 EFI conversion

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
No reason to disagree, but as said it won't give any notable hp gain. If points are due to be replaced, no question, Ignitor or some other electronic. If you just last week replaced points, don't change yet. Points will work fine when new.

Door handle first when cornering

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have to agree - Installed one on my 66 4V, simple to install and wire, car starts like a new one... Of course in today's world of electronics I have elected to keep my points and condensor, along with a screwdriver, in the glove box.... That;s a sure way to get home if one of those electronic bugs bite!!!

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=698303&a=9602805&p=31656901&f=0.jpg

·
Registered
330 Posts
Good idea, However I did read on here about not hooking it up as per enclosed instructions as the resistor wire going to the coil drops the voltage from 12v to 6v.
On checking I found this was indeed the case on my 65.
I ran mine directly from the ign. switch.
I love never having to fool with the points again.

1965 Mustang coupe
1961 Thunderbird
1983 Monte Carlo Conv.
Yeah, thats right...Convertible!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
EASY UP-GRADE and does away with those old points. By all means do it. I installed the the whole Petronix enchilada. Couldn't be happier.

hopefully I'll get this done...if I could only convince the BOSS!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts