Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am going to pick one of these up and try to install it myself. Admittedly, I am an all thumbs guy when it comes to cars, I had one of those Dads who took it to the shop instead of tinkering so alas, I have no real experience.

Will I be ok doing this one on my own? I have found a bunch of sites detaining the install and everyone says it's easy. So.... does that mean easy for a car guy or easy for any schmuck with a screwdriver?

Also, should I get the new wires and the flamethrower coil as well? If so, are these going to be an ok install for a newbie like myself?

If not, maybe I can convince someone to help me through this in exchange for some good beer and my everlasting gratitude. :)

Thanks as always,

Marty

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
It's more complex than a screwdriver but not terribly tough. The big gotcha is that the Mustang is designed around a 6V coil, and the Ignitor needs 12V. There is a pink resistor wire under the dash that needs to be bypassed and run to the Ignitor. The wire runs between one of the main disconnects at the firewall to a snap connector near the ignition switch. You can solder together a "Y" connector as I did and place it at this connection, or get one of those snap-on splicers from radio shack or somewhere.

If you're going to put in a Flamethrower or other 12V coil, you'll also need to bypass or remove the resistor wire, but then you can hook up the Ignitor right to the coil.

Six of one, as they say. A new coil certainly isn't necessary for an Ignitor. Likewise, stock wires are fine if your current ones are in good shape. Certainly if the rubber is cracking you want to replace them irregardless.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Hmmm... I need to send Hal an email. IIRC, the resistor wire runs only to the interior side of the firewall... it's normal wire on the engine side.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not seeing any pink resistor wire under my dash, and admittedly I have no idea how to solder. Would it be easier to get the flamethrower and remove the resistor wire? If I am not seeing a pink resistor wire, how would I identify which one I need to remove?

Sorry for all the dumb questions, I am admittedly clueless when it comes to wiring.....

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
It's hard to see under the dash, and may be covered in crud. Try removing your instrument bezel so that you can easily see the ignition switch wires. One of them will be a red/green wire, go a few inches, and then connect to the resistor wire.

There's also an outside possibility that a PO removed the wire already. A voltage check at the coil will tell you.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another dumb question, I was looking at ordering the Ignitor II from NPD, and I have a few choices, not sure which one I need to order.

The 8 cyl single point, dual point w/o vac. adv, or the dual point w/ vac advance? How would I tell which one I need?

Thanks

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Most likely you need the 8 cyl single point, w/vac advance. You can tell easily though by (a) noting if you have a hose going to a silver round device on the front of your distributor (vacuum advance), and (b) opening the top of the dizzy to see if you have one set of points, or two.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts