Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever put this in a 170c.i.d. six cylinder? I just got done with mine, and at idle it's o.k., but drop it in gear, and it sputters and stalls. This is the only thing I have changed since this afternoon and it's worse than it was then. Can it be used on a car with a generator charging system?
Thanks,Bob

·
Registered
271 Posts
Is it getting a full 12 volts?....do a search on Pertronix. Mine wasn't and it sucked until I fed it properly.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok.-Thanks, I'll have to check it. Also, if it makes a difference, I'm using the stock "yellow top" coil. Maybe I'll upgrade to the Pertronix coil too. BTW-how did you run it properly(just for sh%^s & giggles. I ran the red wire to the + side of the coil like the instructions say to. I ran it that way on my 289 and it worked out excellent.

G

·
0 Posts
Make sure it is space correctly, i installed one on my 200, and had a similar problem, and it was the spacing inside the distributor that caused the problem. Does it only happen when it is in gear, or when it is in neutral and you rev it?

Best,
John

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only in gear. In neutral and park, it's perfect. Maybe I have to re-set the timing? It wasn't running like this UNTIL I insalled the unit.

·
Registered
271 Posts
As I recall, you're getting significantly less than 12 volts at the coil.....you need to connect to a switched (ignition) 12 volt power source . I tapped into the power lead from the ignition switch....the wire that "becomes" a resitance wire (pink) which reduces the voltage to the coil.
Some guys have had no problem with the set up you describe....some do....I certainly did.

Again, do a search for "Pertronix" for more details.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
As said, you need to run 12V to the Pertronix. Peretronix says it needs like 6-7v, so you would think you're okay just wiring to the coil, but the resistor wire cuts the voltage to the coil by about half, depending on the resistor wire. When the engine is at high idle (park and neutral), the generator is spinning enough revs to keep the voltage up. As it drops when you put it in gear, the voltage drops below critical, and the Pertronix doesn't function well.

Carl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts