Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are any of you using the Pertronix ignitor in your distributors?

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I'm still using the original distributer that came on the car... with points. :confused:

·
Administrator
19,530 Posts
Points in my coupe, and if you're showing in concours, you'll lose points for Petronix. Caught two of them while judging at Springfield. ;)

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Randyfastback65 said:
I think the easier question is: Is anyone STILL using points?
I am STILL using point. This is a concours section, so it would make sense that concours cars would use points.

My car starts and runs extremely well with the old school method.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
dallas702 said:
Are any of you using the Pertronix ignitor in your distributors?

In two cars yes (the modified ones but not the Fiberfab)... but in the others no.

Agree that this a bit of an odd question for the concours area

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Points will rarely leave you stranded on the side of the road.

G

·
If it's a car that is driven occasionally, I might go with petronix. Otherwise there is no choice on a show car other than points.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I drive my Stang regularly since '77, points have never let me down!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK. I'll leave those points alone and keep the meter and wrenches handy. ;)

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Hey, do what you want! Why did you ask?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
slim said:
Hey, do what you want! Why did you ask?
'Cause I'm trying to keep the car as correct as possible but avoid problems if I take it out on the road.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
dallas702 said:
'Cause I'm trying to keep the car as correct as possible but avoid problems if I take it out on the road.
Don't forget prior to the mid 70s hundreds of thousands cars drove everyday on points.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
By the responses I guess the Pertronix isn't allowed in the driven concourse judging catagory?

·
Registered
532 Posts
POINTS ! POINTS! I guess my opinion is very biased,but points are the ONLY way to go ;) I rebuild/restore Ford distributors and believe in them 100 %. If you ever tried to diagnose an ignition problem along the road on an electronic conversion ( not just Pertronix ) it can be a challenge. The standard points system is so reliable and is good to 6,500 RPM w/dual points,or 5,800 RPM w/single that I will not install the electronic conversion in my restored units. If the owner wants it installed,he can install it afterwards. When properly assembled and maintained,the factory Ford ignition is fine for MANY,MANY miles. JMO,of course ;)

·
Registered
169 Posts
I agree. I ran a Pertronix for a while until it died and left me stranded. If you do run a Pertronix make sure to keep the points setup in the trunk for a quick swap in case it dies.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,020 Posts
Not to be contrary, but....
While I have always run points and continue to do so to this day in the Mustang, points DID let me down five years ago while I was stopped right in the middle of a busy intersection waiting to make a left turn. No matter how long I cranked and cursed, it wouldn't start....

Turned out the little spring arm the point was attached to broke just downstream from its pivot point. So I always keep a spare set of points in the glovebox also.
Now one breakdown in 40 years of points is I guess not bad....

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I've had no points or points related failures in 52 years! Breakerless electronic
ignition was definitly a big advance in reducing vehicle mantenance. I don't feel an
urgency to modify something on one of my vintage cars that has never caused a problem
in all these years! :confused:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I think every Mustang I ever bought had an extra set of points and a condensor in the console. I agree with staying with points though. I think the bad press about points is to sell more electronic units. Granted, points have more maintenance if you drive it daily, but I don't drive them daily. Also, drag racers like the electronic units because they are typically running higher rpm's (beyond the range for reliable points operation).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts