Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1967 stock 289 engine.......Instructions say to hook red wire up to the + positive side of coil, but doesnt that only produce 6 volts ?
Is there another 12 volt source that it should be hooked up to ? Ignition switch, fan blower, etc etc ?
thanks for any input !

·
Registered
21,076 Posts
IIRC, their instructions are a little ambiguous. I'm running a Petronix as well. As I recall, you could run it like that, with 6 volts or run a straight 12 volts to it. I not familiar with 67's but on 66's, the only place to pick up 12V was before the ballast resistor to work on ignition only and not "ACC". There are some guys who's Petronixs are running fine on 6V and some who had problems. I'm sure you'll get a debate on which way as well.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
You did not specify Ignitor I or Ignitor II. I have an Ignitor I and it worked fine off the stock coil. Eventually, I did replace the stock coil with a Flamethrower coil and ran a new wire bypassing the pink Resisto-wire all together.

IIRC, the Ignitor II is more picky about input voltage

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
If it's the Ignitor I, hook it up to the 6 volt side of the coil, it will work fine. I ran mine for 5 years like that. It wasn't until I went monkeying with it, saying "I'm going to wire this thing up right!!!" that I had a problem.

The more complete answer is that the red wire "should" be hooked up to a 12V source to get the proper amount of power, but the black "trigger" wire needs/has to/must be part of the 6V circuit.

The Ignitor II advertises that it can be ran with the full 12 volts, however, it will still burn up if ran with a "hot" coil (e.g. MSD Master Blaster 2 with 0.7 ohms of resistance).

·
Registered
141 Posts
HI.
been down that road. If ignitor 1 just put in the distributor.. If ignitorII, bypass the pink resistance wire at the connector to the ignition switch ( i also put in a flame-thrower coil). Car runs great so far.
Make sure you have the right part by calling petronix. I was sent a module for a 57 thunderbird!! Spent three hours trying to figure out what was wrong.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I've been running the Pertronix 1 for about 7 years. Accel Yellow coil (the regular size coil, not the big one) & have it wired both wires to the coil. I've never had a minutes trouble with it. Knock on wood!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Easiest way is to look at the box it came in. If it says Ignitor II, that's what it is, otherwise it's just the standard Ignitor (much less troublesome from what I hear).

I've run the regular Ignitor for years hooked to the coil with the resistor wire in place. Both my kids' cars are currently set up like that (4 years on my son's now, 6 on my daughter's) both are daily drivers and never have a problem.

I tried to find the Pertronix part number 1291 to see what it was, but couldn't find anything on that part number.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts