Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new Pertronix Flamethrower and Ignitor - will be installing this week-end. The box on the coil says that it will allow a larger gap for the plugs. Is there any reason that I would want to adjust the spark plug gap beyond stated specs? What will this accomplish?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
the spark will be larger and hotter so you want the gap to be larger so the plugs wont burn up. at least thats what i was told

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I show a standard gap of .034 - .035. What range should they be set for the Pertronix setup?

·
Registered
553 Posts
a search of the forum will provide a great many posts/debates/brawls over increasing gap for Pertronix systems and coils. the documentation with my Pertronix says you can gap .008 over stock

i have the Pertronix and the Flamethrower coil and my plugs are gapped at .042 i think

you don't want to go over .045, at least that seemed the concensus. i leave you to check the posts and decide for yourself

*edit* sorry no place holding zeros previously

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Running my Iridiums at .045" with no probs!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Did you ever think to look at the Pertronix website? It says to increase the stock gap by .005

Scott

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Usually the manufacturer puts a little asterisk (*) next to things like "suggested" values. I'm sure we all remember the phrase "Your results may vary". I now have a range that I can work with, as going with the website adjustment, I'd put them at .040, but now I know I can go up to .045. Opinions and actual results is what I'm after... ::

·
Premium Member
5,172 Posts
I set mine at .040 when I installed them a year ago. When I fuss with the plugs again, I'm going to go to ~ .042...then to .045.
Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts