Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to vintage-mustangs. I've lurked for a while and received much great advice. But I'm in the finishing stages of a '65 V8 restoration and have a few questions. I'll post each separately. My first is in regards to Pertronix wiring. My mechanic installed a Pertronix Ignitor II and Flamethrower II coil in my. Although the engine seems to run fine, the wiring differs slightly from the normal recommended setup. I just want to make sure that it is correct, provides the expected benefits, and will do no unexpected damage. The Ignitor red wire runs to the + side of the coil. The Ignitor black runds to the - side. A separate 12V power supply is spliced into the green/red wire on the back of the ignition switch and runs through the firewall to the + side of the coil. The green/red ignition wire (which traces to the underdash pink resistor wire then becomes green/red in the engine compartment) is unhooked. Connecting BOTH the red Ignitor wire and the 12V power to the + side is what has me concerned. Additionally, does leaving the green/red unhooked have consequences? I think it may be contributing to the the alt light not functioning but I may also have a voltage regulator wiring problem that is effecting the light (the "I" slot is empty"). I'll post the question separately. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Sounds like your mechanic has hooked it up properly.
I'd leave it as it is. Don't know about the light problem
tho. I'm sure others will chime in on this.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm not an expert on the subject by any means. When I was putting the Pertronix II in mine, I researched on here first. I was hearing bad things about them from people who did not follow the directions for it. Everyone who installed it properly by the directions had no problems. I installed mine by the directions and have had no problems. Hence, if your mechanic followed the directions, I would see no problems arising. He is a mechanic, though, and probably knows more than I do. If you aren't having any problems with it, don't worry about it, if you are have him change it. If you are worried about it, ask him.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Hooking the Pertronix like that is just fine, although a bit unsightly, IMHO, with the extra wire dangling there. Be sure that the old, abandonned wire is taped up good, so that it can't short to ground.

Pertronix used to just say to hook the Ignitor to the + side of the coil and leave the resistor wire in place. In a very small percentage of cars, this would cause a problem, probably due to old, faulty wiring. Because of this small percentage, though, Pertronix changed the instructions to running the red wire to a full 12v source, which is exactly what you mechanic did. It seems to me, though, a much easier way would have been to just by-pass the resistor wire under the dash, since you no longer need it, then re-used the red/green wire that is now abandonned under the hood.

Running it the way he hooked it up, though, will pose no problems at all.

The idiot light is unrelated, but directly related to the missing wire in the voltage regulator. Sounds like you have the wrong wiring harnesses for your car under the hood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts