Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.... two of you told me to go to a Pertronix ignition system. I assumed it was just like any other electronic ignition. Then you told me it fits under the cap of my stock distributor. Now I'm really confused. What exactly is the Pertronix system, and is it better than the high performance coil and points that I've already added?

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Pertronics is a Hall Effect electronic switch that replaces your points and condensor. No need to ever adjust points again.

68 GT500
68 1/2 CJ Coupe

MCA# 18519

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Pertronix is one of the best improvements you can do to a old Ford without anybody noticing. It's 10 times better than points. Just set the gap when installing & that's it. Don't have to worry about points slipping, burning or just wearing out. Only two wires to connect. You can use your hi-performance coil with it.

Lancaster, South Carolina
66 Coupe, 302, Auto, 3.25 gears. [color:red]Candyapple Red</font color=red> with White Pearl Stripes. Cragars.
http://web.infoave.net/~ronniek

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had been having problems for the last year or so with the points on my Mach 1, it seemed that they were burning out every couple of months, including leaving me stranded, unable to start the car at one point. I finally took the advice of a friend and installed the Pertronix, and it was one of the best moves I've ever made. I have not had any problems since, my engine purrs, and now I enjoy cruising for the sheer joy of cruising without having the nagging thought of my points acting up in the back of my mind. For a quick, non noticeable and cheap upgrade for your car this one pretty much tops my list. Good luck.

Mike
'69 Acapulco Blue Mach 1
351W

"Women fear me, cars want me"

·
Registered
655 Posts
I can only say good things about the Pertronix system. I put them in three mustangs and they all start up fine, even in cold weather. How ever cold it gets in California!! No more points for me.

69 Fastback <== Still Not Complete After 4 Years
66 Fastback 6cyl, 3 speed <== Collecting Parts for a 5.0 EFI conversion

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wonderful!!!! It's like you guys read my mind. I've been having problems getting her to start in this cold Idaho weather, and now I can add the Pertronix to my list of cold weather starting techniques! Thank you all so much!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Petronix conversion is WELL worth the investment. I, too, was having problems with my points and my car was stahling on occassion. Then, after my engine rebuild, we couldn't get the car started for over an hour. Why? The points were closed. We yanked them right then and installed the Petronix parts. (We wanted to wait until we got the car going before doing the conversion to narrow down any problems we might have in getting it to turn over).

While many will say that no one can tell that you have electronic ignition, that's not entirely true. There is one extra wire running from the system under the distributor cap to the coil. If someone is quick, they'll pick that out immediately.

However, if your Mustang is a daily driver like mine, by all means save yourself LOTS of grief and do the conversion. You'll be happy you did.

Doug

'66 Coupe w/ 289 4bbl.
Power steering, brakes, and A/C
Signal Flare Red w/ white interior, bench seat, deluxe seatbelt option, styled steel wheels, and
an extra seatbelt in the back for my three kids

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you have the money to spend you might want to get the distributor out of an 80anything car with the same motor as yours. Just make sure its a DuraSpark (has a box on the inner fender that says DuraSpark on the end, and the distributor has only 3 wires coming out if it that have a cylinder type connecor on it.)and use a MSD 6A or 6AL ignition box. The distributor cost me $25.00 at a junk yard and about another $20 to buy a new puck up coil for it. The MSD box I am getting from Summit. It will cost around 150-180, but it is well worth it.

70 fastback modified 351W Edelbrock water pump and rpm intake holly 650 front disc brake conv. Auto to toploader conv. Hurst comp. plus shifter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts